Long bow

wv270wsm

So I'm looking into buying a long bow to learn to shoot and possibly hunt with . Any body got any recommendations? I'm looking for something in the 50 -55 lb range . Also Im totally dumb with anything primitive archery , so what kind of arrows do I need to start looking at?

So I'm looking into buying a long bow to learn to shoot and possibly hunt with . Any body got any recommendations? I'm looking for something in the 50 -55 lb range . Also Im totally dumb with anything primitive archery , so what kind of arrows do I need to start looking at?
If you lived close to us I would lend you a Long bow, to try out, that is like new (but 30+ years old). Shoots Aluminum Shaft arrows fitted with triple edge Razor Broadheads.
Unless you want to be True Primitive using Wood Shafts, there are really good Carbon Shaft and Mechanical Tipped for hunting.
I am sure you will get some really good responses to help you out.
Len & Jill

Right or left? Also, unless you are a big strong guy that bow weight range can be hard to shoot. Most folks I know that shoot traditional archery are in the 45 - 50ish pound pull.…Better to start lower and work up if need be.

My friend has quite a few different ones. I usually shoot his Bear Paw and it's very forgiving for novices. You may want to go with something a little cheaper until you are sure you want to stick with it.
As coyote shadow tracker mentioned, aluminum or carbon arrows are the way to go.
Not sure how big you are but 50-55 lbs might be a little too heavy to start with.
Find someone locally that can help you out with shooting form and technique and it'll save you a lot of aggravation and bad habits that are tough to break.
Good luck and have fun

You will find that there are a myriad of different longbow/arrow designs to choose from. Do some homework and find which appeals most to you. While I shoot both longbows and recurves, my favorite is the traditional longbow. Shooting a longbow well involves lots of time and practice, but is highly rewarding once mastered.
My favorite for the last 40+ years has been the Howard Hill style. I make my own Port Orford cedar shafts with turkey feathers.

EE223EF3-5314-4F5D-9089-31338BF89B87.jpeg6722C78D-02C6-4E9A-8F1B-FD69CC9A6F70.jpeg3BFE0E8B-0A61-41FD-B7FE-3E2E71797029.jpeg

You will find that there are a myriad of different longbow/arrow designs to choose from. Do some homework and find which appeals most to you. While I shoot both longbows and recurves, my favorite is the traditional longbow. Shooting a longbow well involves lots of time and practice, but is highly rewarding once mastered.
My favorite for the last 40+ years has been the Howard Hill style. I make my own Port Orford cedar shafts with turkey feathers.

View attachment 412849View attachment 412850View attachment 412851
Really NICE!!!!!

Memories..... I have a few..... yes Fred Bears .... Herters take down....port orchard cerdar arrows,herters aluminum..... even have some of those Browning serpentine broadheads.... the one they advertised cutting a 1" hole in an apple..
I,ve shot a few deer with them...no horn trophies....but wonderful experience and food...
Hunting with a bow makes you a better hunter......

Memories..... I have a few..... yes Fred Bears .... Herters take down....port orchard cerdar arrows,herters aluminum..... even have some of those Browning serpentine broadheads.... the one they advertised cutting a 1" hole in an apple..
I,ve shot a few deer with them...no horn trophies....but wonderful experience and food...
Hunting with a bow makes you a better hunter......
I've shot long bows and recurves for years until I had my neck broke and haven't been able to since but this now I got to handle that a friend of mine owned was built by one of the Thompson brothers that hid in the swamps during the civil war I feel privileged to of got to see it in person. David

Attachments

• 3B66BB1D-0DA0-412E-A148-2E7AB594711D.jpeg
    3B66BB1D-0DA0-412E-A148-2E7AB594711D.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 52
  • FBCBE883-D629-49B1-BDC2-846046A9B829.jpeg
    FBCBE883-D629-49B1-BDC2-846046A9B829.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 34BD18AF-7F84-483A-AC46-9FADD5BF2850.jpeg
    34BD18AF-7F84-483A-AC46-9FADD5BF2850.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 50
It's worth a trip to a trad bow shop, or trad meet, to shoot many different bows before buying.

I wound up with a bow from a local maker that shot better for me than a couple of higher-priced brand names.

They can help you match arrows too.

Friends like Schaefer and Black Widow too, but I would buy a ~$400 or so used bow first. Longbow isn't for everyone.

I can appreciate the dedication it takes to shoot any animal with a stick bow! I've archery hunted my whole life and recurve hunted one year when my hand was cut badly and I couldn't strap a release on my hand. I shot it off and on for a couple years but never could get past the fact that that bull was in range of my compound but not my recurve skills! Like others said it is much easier to lean fundamentals with a 30# stick bow than a 55# bow. I used Easton Full Metal jacket arrows with cut on impact broadheads. Heavy arrows for penetration! I even used extra heavy brass inserts. I still have most of my setup, but my bow is up for sale. I just don't use it enough to stay proficient with it.
I can't recommend any specific brands because I've been out of it for too long, but like most things, especially with bows, you get what you pay for!

Tons of really great longbows being built,I shoot a Wild Horse Creek out of Perry,Kansas.No website or advertising,he does not have to and sells more than he really wants to build.A really good thing is the price for what you get.