Long Bow suggestion

Cruizin

I've always wanted a nice custom long bow and this year I'm looking at getting one. I shoot a nice hoyt compound and pulling back 70lbs isn't a problem for me. I'm 5'8" and I've got about a 27" draw. I've been looking at Black Widow bows. Any suggestions on weight and length and manufacture would be appreciated.

Thanks

While I'm only a passable longbow hunter, my Father is a passionate traditional hunter taking deer, rabbit and pheasant, or at least he loves to try for pheasant! I grew up watching him and Ron Leclair hunt every now and then.

Anyhow, I can give you a PM and get you his email or phone number if you want to chat one on one. He's not too savvy over the internet, but he's very personable and loves to help people find the right mix/match for them. He lives in Michigan and he's up on the latest and greatest as well as what's available used but not available (collector's items and out of production items).

He's also got a good selection of Howard Hill literature and videos...I always end up practicing more when I borrow one from him.

He is mainly a longbow guy, but has several types of other bows--latest is a mogolian horsebow hybrid...very cool.

Anyhow, if you're game I can get you his info.

Matt Roth

Cruizin,
Get a current Traditional Bowhunter Mag, Primtive archer mag and read up.Call Matt's dad for sure, shooting a long bow is different from the compound there is no let off while you are holding it,coarse you know that . I started off with a Martin Longbow, it will kill deer and they won't know the difference between being shot by a $1000 bow:)! But if you Must spend the money and don't mind the time to get one ,look at Ron La Clair's Shrew longbows.Dick Robertson out of Mt. makes quality bows. Check out 3 rivers archery supply, they have bows ,books and dvd's.
Read all you can, see if there is traditional club near by maybe someone will let you try one out before you invest in something you won't like to shoot!
LOL, Jimmie

This is great advice and I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll start by going to the range and talking to some folks first to get a better idea of what I want.

My hunting buddy was state overall recurve champ last year, he has shot Shafer silver tip bows for years. Iam a novice with the recurve but have one of his old bows, they are really smooth and liitle vibration compared to others I have tried, including Black Widow. He has several variations of long bows, a take down with various limbs, one that breaks in middle on a hinge, and traditional one piece. They and the recurves are pieces of art but ultimately functional. Check him out at Shafer Silvertip Bows

I'm very happy with my BW. It's 62" 54#. There are times I'd like a little shorter bow in the woods......but you can't beat the BW for having virtually zero hand shock. I love the way it feels when I shoot it. The only other bow I've ever tried that felt similar was a Bob Lee. AFAIC they are all over priced now days though.

So many great long bows available today. My personal favorites are Pronghorn bows out of WY & Horne's Archery out of TX, but there are a lot of other great ones. Personal preference is huge when choosing any trad bow so getting to shoot as many different ones as possible before deciding is a big help. Some bows just "feel" right for an individual and the next guy likes something totally different.

If you draw 27" with a compound you will probably be about 26"-26.5" with a trad bow. They are often rated at 28" so if you are looking at a used bow figure about 3# per inch to get close to what it would be at your draw. A 55# @ 28" bow would be around 49# - 51# at your draw. Although you shoot a 70# compound, going too heavy with the first trad bow is maybe the most common mistake guys make. 50#-55# is plenty for hunting and you will have more fun.

With a 26"-27" draw I would go no shorter than 60" in a longbow. Some folks like shorter bows, but the string angle at full draw can get severe and that can make for a poor release. Longer bows can feel smoother but now a days there are some very smooth short bows as well. If you go over 64" they can be hard to maneuver in a treestand or other tight quarters, but more traditional longbow styles are often, well...long. If you are getting one built, the bowyer will guide you on what length fits your draw length, desired weight, and his design.

All that said, you might pick up a bow that fits none of the criteria I just gave and it will "feel" great. That trumps everything.

Have fun!

The smoothest and best shooting longbow I've ever owned was a 21st Century Osage Orange bow. It was their bargain bow but shot better than their higher end bows. I believe it was the saturn model.
I've shot most of them and I've liked it the best.
For recurves I've had best luck with the Palmer bows.

As Don Ward said, it is purely a matter of individual feel. Trad bows are more a feel and soul tool.
It is very individualistic.

I also like the Checkmate bows and used to run the website recurves.com

check it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.