what new bow to get

nate-lab

i am think about getting a new bow what are some opinion?
the bow will be use Competition shooting and Hunting
i have thought about Bowtech Admiral, Hoyt Alphamax 32, PSE X-Force

Last edited:
I have a Hoyt Vectrix and a Diamond by bowtech. The three you list all should be top of the line. You should shoot them and see which you like the best. I have been a Hoyt shooter for 15 years but I do like the bowtech's. I would shoot the bowtech for sure before I pulled the trigger on a new bow if I was in the market. I also put new premium strings on mine when I get them. Brad

I have used a guy in Mo to make custom strings. He is however booked about a year in advance. Winners choice are readily available and if you search some of the archery forums you can find some other good ones. I have a bow on Mikes waiting list (for about a year) so if you are not in the pipeline you might want to check someone else.

Getting there is half the fun. A long time hoyt fan but I decided to give bowtech a try last year. The 101st AB is a great bow, plenty fast and very accurate. Although I shoot almost daily, I didn't find the bowtech to be a bow I liked shooting as much as my hoyts. A personal opinion, to be sure. I recently went back to hoyt with the purchase of an alphamax32. I can't say enough good things about this bow. I still shoot daily an can't wait to get back in the back yard to kill more foam.

Shoot as many bows as possible. This is the only way to know for sure you'll be happy with your decision. Regarding changing strings/cables. IMO, you'll be spending money needlessly, as both bowtech and hoyt come with very good strings. I can't say that about some other brands.

I've shot hoyt and martins for a long time, and settle with martin. I like their cam designs better, though they're speed shoot through design from what i heard was discontinued. they still offer the shoot through system but it's not as an aggressive cam butreally smooth to draw...they're new CAT cam is super fast and extremely adjustable...you can really customize it to what you want.

If I were in the market for a new 3d and hunting bow I would take a hard look at the martin firecat or warthog....

best advice was already given...shoot as many bows as you can before buying...every grip feels different and some settle better in your hand than others...

as far as strings...I really like winners choice and that's all that i used while competing.....having said that, on my 3d and hunting bow i've been using bucknasty strings exclusively...his prices are excellent and quality is on par with winners choice for half the price...

check out www.archerytalk.com they have wealth of information regarding bows and strings.....i've actually bought several 1 year old bows on there in new condition for great prices...shop around. If you're willing to settle for a used bow in excellent condition you will save a lot of money you can spend on better accessories.....arrows, rest, release etc....

just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.