Generalized bullet selection for hunting….

@Petey308 …I'd be interested in what you think the weakness is in the strategy of shooting the softer bullets like Bergers, ELDM's, SST'S, etc?

…or maybe better phrased, what precautions must you take in extreme situations whether high velocity, low velocity, steep quartering or what ever is the riskiest shot…

I feel like I've read bits and pieces of that and a reread with notes might clear it up, but maybe you could summarize.

id also be interested in your thoughts on my risks going to monos this year. I'm mostly concerned about low impact velocities….but I think I'm good to 700 yards.

I'm going to mono's because of perceived near failures I've had with soft bullets at high velocities. I think I'm good there, but just trying to think about the weakness in my actions.

@Petey308 …I'd be interested in what you think the weakness is in the strategy of shooting the softer bullets like Bergers, ELDM's, SST'S, etc?

…or maybe better phrased, what precautions must you take in extreme situations whether high velocity, low velocity, steep quartering or what ever is the riskiest shot…

I feel like I've read bits and pieces of that and a reread with notes might clear it up, but maybe you could summarize.

id also be interested in your thoughts on my risks going to monos this year. I'm mostly concerned about low impact velocities….but I think I'm good to 700 yards.

I'm going to mono's because of perceived near failures I've had with soft bullets at high velocities. I think I'm good there, but just trying to think about the weakness in my actions.
I'm at a baseball game right now, so I'll have to wait until I can answer that in proper detail.

I can say though that I'm about done with my book on this sort of subject and it answers a lot of the questions in a lot more detail and with pictures.

Heavier is better only with softer/frangible bullets though, or hybrid designs like Partitions, SST's, ELDX's, etc.

Going too heavy with the really tough/bonded and monos can reading in too much penetration and not enough expansion for ideal results.

Agree, and I had a bad experience with Accubonds and now avoid them entirely. Shot placement was good, but damage was minimal

I'm surprised….

Has it gone to a publisher yet?
It's copyrighted. I'm self publishing as an ebook first. Still deciding on how I want to do printed copies.

I like material such as this to be in ebook format because I can keep a copy right on my phone and then search things too later to find something to refresh my memory or get a particular data point. That's why I'm doing the ebook first.

Last edited:
Agree, and I had a bad experience with Accubonds and now avoid them entirely. Shot placement was good, but damage was minimal
I had performance issues with Accubond long range (ABLR) both accuracy and on game performance, but the plain old Accubonds grouped great and killed deer reliably.

I'm surprised….

One Accubond failure was a 140gr out of a 7mm-08 on a javelina under 200 yds. Then I witnessed another with a 140gr out if a 270 WSM at around 85 yds at a coues deer. On both animals both lungs were hit and damage was minimal.

Took the Javelina 30 or more minutes to die, and the deer about 20 or so. When we arrived to both animals both were still breathing. The Javelina actually took off and ran about 20 or 30 yds and collapsed.

So no more bonded bullets for me.

I had performance issues with Accubond long range (ABLR) both accuracy and on game performance, but the plain old Accubonds grouped great and killed deer reliably.

My buddy's deer went down on bullet impact, so we though bang flop right? No.

When we got to it it was on its last breaths. He hit it right behind the shoulder and bullet rested on offside shoulder, offside shoulder which was broken by the bullet. When we opened the deer the lungs didn't show much damage.

Same thing with the Javelina and that's when I said no more.

With the AMax, SST's, BT's, and my one Berger Hybrid experience, the vitals have been turned to smoosh, most drop right there or take a few steps and done. There have been of course some that take off on a dead run and shortly collapse. Of course with proper shot placement, can't blame the bullet for a poor shot, which I admit I have made some, and they we my fault.

I'm not really looking for an exit wound, i want massive internal damage. That said I do usually get an exit with these soft bullets. Berger being the one that has left the biggest hole, about 4" wide, kit you not. A true window to the deer's insides.

You may enjoy the discussions here too then:

"Petey308"
Toughly enjoyed your detailed information on bullets and all your testing over the past years.
Thank you very much for your detailed and I could say Scientific testing! Have not seen that kind of information from any bullet manufactures.
Your testing and then the knowledge gained is monumental. Will defiantly purchase any of your books/papers on the researched you have accomplished to date.
Please put us on your information (email) list.

Len & Jill