Bullet weight selection

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by mwkelso, Aug 9, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Big Jake Duke

Big Jake Duke Well-Known Member

It twists it exactly 1 time per 10" of distance traveled.

Faster velocities can help- I have shot hyper speeds in a 1-8 twist barrel that the bullet said needed a 1-6 (sierra 95gr.) It works. But often Speed cant totally compensate for the force need and a faster twist will make your life simpler. My 1-8 6.5-284 wont stabilize some bullets created for a 1-8. The Berger 170gr .277 bullets I could never get to stabilize in a 1-8 and I was shooting them over 3300 fps. So I had velocity and twist-

So patience and practice will find the right combo you are looking for- research is a good starting point- then see what happens with your rifle.

2. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Extra long for caliber bullets are difficult for sure. They truly seem to work in some rifles and not others. Frustrating for sure. Everytime I think i should pull one of our "long" bullets from the line up they work well for someone.

3. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Just curious, what cartridge were you shooting? I have a 270 Allen Magnum with 30" Lilja, 8T, 3g barrel and it really likes the 170 Bergs. I have a few of the now gone Wildcat 169.5gn's and it loves them equally well. I have not tried any of the Matrix, Cutting Edge or mono bullets in it yet.

4. Big Jake Duke

Big Jake Duke Well-Known Member

270-300 Win Mag. 1-8 twist 28" Pacnor

johnnyk likes this.
  5. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Yep, you definately have the right "credentials". Some barrels just don't shoot certain bullets.

6. DLR24

DLR24 Member

Go as heavy as your rifle will shoot for an all around cartridge. Anything out of a 300 win mag is going to kill real good out to 600 yards.

mwkelso likes this.
  7. TexasFrog

TexasFrog Previously Claver Tate

Depends a lot on distance... at 120 meters no biggie... at 1200 it makes a difference... also consider are you shooting elk or paper targets

8. skipglo

skipglo Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

208 gr eld match...H4350.... just a very viable option....no one is limited to one choice!

mwkelso likes this.