Lost in the woods re: GA, WY bullet selection

7-08

I live in GA and hunt whitetail inside 200 yards, but I'm going to WY to hunt mule deer and want a bullet that will shoot accurately to 300 - 400 yards in my Kimber 7mm-08. I have been shooting Federal BT and Partitions, HSM vld Berger bullet and Hornady SST with some accuracy. What bullet would you recommend? Need different bullet for each location? I'm feeling lost at this point and need someone with more experience than me to weigh in. Thanks.

well i live in wyo. and i would suggest something that will buck the wind.and what are you hunting deer or elk ?gun)

I'd second the above post

WYOWINDSOCK.JPG

What you need is a bullet that will shoot one inch groups at one hundred yards and has a weight over 140 grains. The higher the BC the better but at ranges of 400 yards it is not so critical as the accuracy. A bullet in the 150-160 range is adequate for mule deer.

If you are buying factory ammo your only choice is to test different ones and see which ones are accurate.

Any opinions out there about the Hornady SST? I like the accuracy and the drop is less at 300 yards than the Federal partitions and BTips.

I have shot the 165 sst. it shot well in the wind 12mph. was a little hard on meat but a good bullet. did you say you were shooting a 7 rem. mag try some of HSM ammo 168 berger bullet works the best.(I reload but tere load shoots real close to mine.hope this helps. good shooting.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.