Bullet weight selection

If you have a 100 inch 1 in 10 twist barrel it will twist the bullet 10 times. If you shoot it at 2500 fps how many times does it twist it. If you shoot it 3500 fps how many times does it twist it?

It twists it exactly 1 time per 10" of distance traveled.

Faster velocities can help- I have shot hyper speeds in a 1-8 twist barrel that the bullet said needed a 1-6 (sierra 95gr.) It works. But often Speed cant totally compensate for the force need and a faster twist will make your life simpler. My 1-8 6.5-284 wont stabilize some bullets created for a 1-8. The Berger 170gr .277 bullets I could never get to stabilize in a 1-8 and I was shooting them over 3300 fps. So I had velocity and twist-

So patience and practice will find the right combo you are looking for- research is a good starting point- then see what happens with your rifle.

Extra long for caliber bullets are difficult for sure. They truly seem to work in some rifles and not others. Frustrating for sure. Everytime I think i should pull one of our "long" bullets from the line up they work well for someone.

The Berger 170gr .277 bullets I could never get to stabilize in a 1-8 and I was shooting them over 3300 fps. So I had velocity and twist-

Just curious, what cartridge were you shooting? I have a 270 Allen Magnum with 30" Lilja, 8T, 3g barrel and it really likes the 170 Bergs. I have a few of the now gone Wildcat 169.5gn's and it loves them equally well. I have not tried any of the Matrix, Cutting Edge or mono bullets in it yet.

Just curious, what cartridge were you shooting? I have a 270 Allen Magnum with 30" Lilja, 8T, 3g barrel and it really likes the 170 Bergs. I have a few of the now gone Wildcat 169.5gn's and it loves them equally well. I have not tried any of the Matrix, Cutting Edge or mono bullets in it yet.

270-300 Win Mag. 1-8 twist 28" Pacnor

Currently the max that I am comfortable with and consistently accurate is 500. I am wanting to start working out to the 1,000 mark next.
Go as heavy as your rifle will shoot for an all around cartridge. Anything out of a 300 win mag is going to kill real good out to 600 yards.

How do you choose the weight of your bullet?
I'm shooting a 300 win mag and have seen a lot of variations of preferred bullet weights. Does the majority of the choice depend on what the barrel likes?
I'm wanting to avoid getting too heavy of a bullet so I don't limit myself to shorter ranges for hunting, and likewise for too light of a bullet.
208 gr eld match...H4350.... just a very viable option....no one is limited to one choice!

I have a tender shoulder and lighter bullets are more comfortable for me to shooot. As a result I can get by with a slower twist. Heavier bullets may have better specs and shoot flatter and carry more energy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.