Gel Test Data

Thanks for doing the test. I shoot both hammers and Berger. The 215 has served me well with deer out to 734 yds and elk to 625 yds. The only thing I don't like about it is the meat loss. But it has been effective. It did do some weird things on the elk at 625 yds. Tip broke off on a elbow hit. But broke it and destroyed the brisket. I posted pics of that bullet on LRO years ago.

I'm with Cody on this one - gel testing can give data, but not necessarily proving one projectile vs the other would work better on game.

For those worried about terminal performance of the 215 hybrid on game, Broz detailed a ton of kills on deer, elk, and antelope with the 215 hybrid a few years back. It's a great read.

I'm with Cody on this one - gel testing can give data, but not necessarily proving one projectile vs the other would work better on game.

For those worried about terminal performance of the 215 hybrid on game, Broz detailed a ton of kills on deer, elk, and antelope with the 215 hybrid a few years back. It's a great read.

The Berger hybrid is a incredible bullet terminally. I've used the 215 Berger hybrid on several animals and it's been nothing short of amazing especially at distance.

Is the bullets RPM the same in the low velocity impacts at 300 yards vs the impact if it were fired at the higher velocity and bled the speed off via yardage ? The RMP's don't degrade as rapidly as velocity from what I have read.

Bullets that tumble, often look to work very well.

It's a target bullet.

Their target bullets have a thicker jacket than those designed for hunting. The thinner hunting jacket is to promote more rapid expansion at lower speeds, so your test's low speed impact result of the target bullet in gel isn't all that surprising.

Do you plan to also compare to their hunting bullets for a true A to A?
Not actually true you are thinking of the vld's where the target is thicker and the hunting thinner. You practice with one and hunt with the other. All the rest are hybrid design and have thin jackets. Brian just talked about this with the question about the OTM (open tipped match) and a juggernaut. They are both the same bullet military contracts requires it be labeled a OTM. He even said that the Berger hybrid target makes a great hunting bullet. Just because it's labeled for something other than hunting doesn't mean it won't perform well. I've used them hunting and have friends who built whole custom rifles for hunting around running the 215 gr berger hybrid target bullets. The Berger hybrid target has a thinner jacket then the Berger vld hunting.

There was no suggestion of purchasing any product it was a gel test and the collected data reported. Nothing more nothing less. If it was someone other than me that posted it, it would be ok?
yes if someone that wasn't representing the company had done the test and posted it that would have remained live. Worth noting as well with your other past comments putting us down didnt make the decision very hard especially after the hospitality you were shown staying at our place and sharing a meal at our table to then just to say all we are about is the dollars and cents.

Last edited:
There was no suggestion of purchasing any product it was a gel test and the collected data reported. Nothing more nothing less. If it was someone other than me that posted it, it would be ok?
Thanks Steve your post are always interesting , keep up the good work , don't let the naysayers get under your skin . Stay focused on one of the best bullets and customer service out there .

Is the bullets RPM the same in the low velocity impacts at 300 yards vs the impact if it were fired at the higher velocity and bled the speed off via yardage ? The RMP's don't degrade as rapidly as velocity from what I have read.
RPM's are calculated by MV x 720 / twist. Degradation of rpm during flight is nearly nil. So, the 215 bullet rpm's fired from the 9" twist at 2157 fps would be 172,560 rpm. If the same bullet were fired from a 10" twist at 2900 fps the rpms would be 208,800 rpm. At 2800 fps from a 300 wsm the rpm's would be 201,600. Full tilt from a 308win 10" twist at 2500 fps, the rpm's would be 180,000.

When we set up the test we were careful to make sure that we had stability above 1.5sg. We made our stability calculations at sea level and did not take into account elevation to ensure that our stability was high with each bullet.