Gel Test Data part 2

What part was that answering? The part about overcoming same speed and higher bc? Does a hammer have better terminal performance than a ceb? The way they shed pedals I assumed they have similar terminal performance? Is that assumption wrong?
You asked how the Hammer would be better. That's how.

In generic terms of terminal performance you are correct. Consistency through a wider range of impact vel is a big difference. How they handle bone impacts at high vel and angles is not the same either. We used that copper when we first started and found better. Made a huge difference in terminal performance.

Then let's hear it? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a hammer vs other mono bullets that market basically the exact same ideas.
What RockyMtnMt said and I'll add "basically the same idea" ..........Really ?
Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, what makes them different? Basically the same idea

Last edited:
As much as I respect many peoples ability to make educated guesses at range, I'm not convinced anyone can tell me with any certainty what the ACTUAL wind velocity is at the top of the bullet arc in the middle of a cross canyon shot.
You tube boy can. Just ask him. He can send a 22 short up a gnats rear end in hurricane force winds at 2 miles.

Yes Hammers are lethal, as you know I've killed animals with them too.

But, basically every other hunting bullet in existence is also lethal.

I won't call anything "the best" because they all have their goods and bads.
I agree 100% but in the tread an elk at a mile the OP was using Berger's, 5 hits in the vitals with 5 complete pencil through's, that's the point that I'm getting at

What RockyMtnMt said and I'll add "basically the same idea" ..........Really ?
Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, what makes them different? Basically the same idea
Thanks for making my initial point. And guys will argue which is better and in the end none are "better". Just matters if you like ford or Chevy or dodge. Not a great analogy.

You asked how the Hammer would be better. That's how.

In generic terms of terminal performance you are correct. Consistency through a wider range of impact vel is a big difference. How they handle bone impacts at high vel and angles is not the same either. We used that copper when we first started and found better. Made a huge difference in terminal performance.
Thank you for answering my question! Would love to see it put into ballistic gel if you're looking for the next test!

What ever makes you happy Neighbor
Happiness has nothing to do with it. A question was asked, a ridiculous answer was given.

Steve actually answered my question though. On paper a CEB makes more sense, just wanted to know what made a hammer better.

I wish we could shoot gel all the time! It is too expensive and very time consuming. We will be recycling the gel from the last test, that takes hrs of melting and filtering and molding. Last test had 1500 bucks just in the gel.

I personally like ford.....my kid/boat hauler and grocery getter is an expedition, but my patrol truck is a chevy trail boss, works well for what I do. For bombing the mountain trails though, my lifted jeep cherokee gets the nod. When I need to get somewhere and save on fuel (thanks biden.....) I take the Toyota.

Lets keep the mood light, it's been good so far. There isn't one perfect option....certain bullets are better for certain jobs. Just depends on the job at hand.

I personally like ford.....my kid/boat hauler and grocery getter is an expedition, but my patrol truck is a chevy trail boss, works well for what I do. For bombing the mountain trails though, my lifted jeep cherokee gets the nod. When I need to get somewhere and save on fuel (thanks biden.....) I take the Toyota.

Lighten the mood. There isn't one perfect option. Certain bullets are better for certain jobs. Just depends on the job at hand.
Yes. Keep it light. I really do like the discussion.

I think Bean in the past has tried to give more in depth discussion about the diff and then been called names for it. Or accused of being a paid rep or whatever. Now he keeps it short and somehow irritates some. It's too bad.

Last edited:

Recent Posts