Future H.A.T B.C. Test shoot

I think that the Hornady 250 grain .338 calibre BTHP Match bullet would give interesting results. B.C. .67..........Especially with its stability past the transonic barrier.

Just a short post to keep thing updated. I talked briefly with Cory T. and if his rifle is finished on time he is definitely in for our test. With this excellent news, this is what it looks like so far.

If a bullet has no details as far as weights, then WE HAVE NONE TO TEST and NO SHOOTER FOR THEM.

30 Cal: - standard bearer 200-220 gr Berger, Hornady, Sierra
ZA 175 or 240 gr
HAT 210 gr
Predator 176 gr

338 -standard bearer 300 gr Lapua
ZA 6.0 caliber - 300 gr (6.5 or 7.0 caliber weight undetermined )
HAT - 265 gr
Predator 235 gr
GS Custom 295gr & 232 grain

Hooker weights undetermined (hopefully medium and heavy)
Lehigh weights undetermined (hopefully medium and heavy)

375 - standard bearer 350 grain Sierra
Predator 350 gr
ZA weights undetermined (6.0 or 6.5 caliber in length)

HAT weights undetermined (hopefully medium and heavy)
GS Custom - weights undetermined
Hooker - weights undetermined (hopefully medium and heavy)
Rocky Mountain - weights undetermined (hopefully medium and heavy)
Lehigh - weights undetermined (hopefully medium and heavy)

LUTZ - several different bullets of different weights, including Viking, and they will be loaded using Lutz's published suggested load data. These will be shot only at short range, as we have too few to bullets to both gather data and do testing at long range.

50 Cal - standard bearer...Lapua N or Hornady AMAX
ZA weights undetermined (5.5 and 6.0 calibers - 931 gr)

SHOOTERS
Dave Viers has volunteered to shoot 30 Cal standard bearer (his choice of Berger, Hornady, Sierra 200-220 grain bullets) and 210 gr HAT bullets; also shooting 375 cal. standard bearer (Sierra 350 grain), 350 gr.Predator solids, 370 gr. Montana jacketed alum tipped, ZA 6.0 or 6.5 caliber length.

Steve Damron is going to shoot 30 cal predator solids 176 gr; 338 Predator solid 235 gr

If my 338 L.M. Improved is finished in time, I will be shooting a GS Custom 295 gr solid, GS Custom 232 gr solid, and a ZA 6.5 and potentially 7 caliber Solids.

Eddybo has volunteered to shoot 338 HAT 265 grains

Cory Trapp is most likely (assuming his rifle is completed on time) going to shoot the 30 cal. 5.8 caliber ZA solid, as well as the 338 standard bearer (300 grain Lapua), ZA 338 6.0 Caliber (300 grain), possibly GS Custom 338.

Dave Viers has kindly offered to bring his ATV (700 polaris) to haul gear and humans to top of firing point.

Jeff,

Here are some of the bullet weights,

Predator 375cal. 350 grain brass solid

GS Custom 375cal. 355 grain copper solid

Rocky Mountain 375cal. 370 grain Jacketed with alum tip

Hooker Tactical or Cheytac bullets 375cal. 350grain copper/nickel solids "un-banded"

Lehigh 375cal. 333 grain brass solid

HAT 375 cal. bullets are in development, hoping to have them ready for the shoot.

I hope there is another 375 rifle to test with, my gain twist barrel may not handle some of
these bullets.

As i am writing this i am testing several different bullets to see if they are viable for me to test.
350smk, 370 Rockymtn, 350 Predator, 355 GS custom.... 535yd sight in, moved to 1125yds for test. I will post the results later today.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the information. I just called someone that i know to see if he can act as one of our testes. He has a 375 CHey Tac. and may be able to pick up some of the slack for you on testing. With the additioan of Dave's information this is what we are now looking at:

30 Cal: - standard bearer 200-220 grain Berger, Hornady, Sierra - all jacketed
ZA 175 or 240 gr copper solid w/ Tung. core
HAT 210 gr jacketed
Predator 176 gr brass solid
338 -standard bearer 300 gr Lapua
ZA 6.0 caliber - 300 gr (6.5 or 7.0 caliber weight undetermined ) copper solid/ Tung core
HAT - 265 gr Jacketed
Predator 235 gr Brass Solid
GS Custom 295gr & 232 gr copper solid

Hooker weights undetermined (hopefully medium and heavy)
Lehigh weights undetermined (hopefully medium and heavy)

375 - standard bearer 350 grain Sierra jacketed
ZA weights undetermined (6.0 or 6.5 caliber in length) copper solid
Predator 350 gr brass solid
GS Custom 355 gr. copper solid
Hooker 350 gr. copper/nickel solid
Rocky Mountain 370 gr. jacketed w/ Alum tip
Lehigh 333 gr. Brass solid

HAT weights undetermined (hopefully medium and heavy)

50 Cal - standard bearer...Lapua N or Hornady AMAX
ZA weights undetermined (5.5 and 6.0 calibers - 931 grains) copper solid
Predator weight undetermined brass solid

SHOOTERS
Dave Viers has volunteered to shoot 30 Cal standard bearer (his choice of Berger, Hornady, Sierra 200-220 grain bullets) and 210 gn HAT bullets; also shooting 375 cal. standard bearer (Sierra 350 grain) 350 Predator solids, 370 Montana jacketed alum tipped, ZA 6.0 or 6.5 caliber length.

Steve Damron is going to shoot 30 cal predator solids 176 grain; 338 Predator solid 235 grain

If my 338 L.M. Improved is finished in time, I will be shooting a GS Custom 295 grain solid, GS Custom 232 grain solid, and a ZA 6.5 and potentially 7 caliber Solids.

Eddybo has volunteered to shoot 338 HAT 265 grains

Cory Trapp is most likely (assuming his rifle is completed on time) going to shoot the 30 cal. 5.8 caliber ZA solid, as well as the 338 standard bearer (300 grain Lapua), ZA 6.0 Caliber (300 grain), possibly GS Custom 338.
Dave Viers has kindly offered to bring his ATV (700 Polaris) to haul gear and humans to the top of the firing point.

Jeff,

Here are some of the bullet weights,

Predator 375cal. 350 grain brass solid

GS Custom 375cal. 355 grain copper solid

Rocky Mountain 375cal. 370 grain Jacketed with alum tip

Hooker Tactical or Cheytac bullets 375cal. 350grain copper/nickel solids "un-banded"

Lehigh 375cal. 333 grain brass solid

HAT 375 cal. bullets are in development, hoping to have them ready for the shoot.

I hope there is another 375 rifle to test with, my gain twist barrel may not handle some of
these bullets.

As i am writing this i am testing several different bullets to see if they are viable for me to test.
350smk, 370 Rockymtn, 350 Predator, 355 GS custom.... 535yd sight in, moved to 1125yds for test. I will post the results later today.

Dave

Dave, what is the date of this shoot? I may have my 375 cheytac finished by then......

Kelly

Hi Jeff and fellow ELR comrades,

I'd be happy to attend,shoot,help or spot with you guys in this exciting quest.

I've got an old school 375CT with Lawton LRB and some Hookers and Lehighs to shoot up if you would like.

I also have a 30-375Ruger with a 9twist that sends 240SMK's at 2925fps that I can bring.I've shot it to 1800Y before a couple times with good success.

Steve

Well we have dates, but they do not not work for Dave. I'm trying to see when Dave's availability and mine co-incides. If it doesn't in a reasonable way, then we are going to test these bullets at the end of June, the 25th through the 27th.

Assuming the worst case (and I hope it does NOT come to pass), then we would try to gather on the 24th in Vegas in the evening to discuss directions to the range, have a beer,etc. Even if we do not get together, testing starts first thing Friday Morning, June 25th.

Friday, June 25th we would meet at Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club, for 100 and 900 yard velocitiy verifications and zeros.
Saturday, Sunday, and Monday June 26th, 27th, and 28th (only as a last resort) we will do desert testing.

JeffVN

Like I said these dates are somewhat set, unless Dave and I can get our schedules to overlap at another date in July.

Well we have dates, but they do not not work for Dave. I'm trying to see when Dave's availability and mine co-incides. If it doesn't in a reasonable way, then we are going to test these bullets at the end of June, the 25th through the 27th.

Assuming the worst case (and I hope it does NOT come to pass), then we would try to gather on the 24th in Vegas in the evening to discuss directions to the range, have a beer,etc. Even if we do not get together, testing starts first thing Friday Morning, June 25th.

Friday, June 25th we would meet at Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club, for 100 and 900 yard velocitiy verifications and zeros.
Saturday, Sunday, and Monday June 26th, 27th, and 28th (only as a last resort) we will do desert testing.

JeffVN

Like I said these dates are somewhat set, unless Dave and I can get our schedules to overlap at another date in July.

Jeff,
I'm not sure if my 375 chey-tac will be ready by June 25th. My gunsmith is telling me 3 to 4 month lead times for the barrel. Perhaps someone on here can suggest a barrel maker with faster lead times.

Regardless, I would be willing to offer my spotting assistance and what ever else I could help with. I have a dodge extended cab full size truck and can bring a trailer that can carry 3 atv's and two bikes. I can also bring my two atv's and two dirt bikes to hall people around. I Also have some armor plated steel targets. Let me know if I can help.....

kz

Kellyzier

If your serious about doing this give noel a call and he can give you my number, you'll need to discuss some other things with him anyways. I have a 12 to 5.5 or 5.7 I'd have to check sitting in my safe now for awhile. I've been waiting on a bolt for about a year with no end in sight to run a switch barrel set up with this barrel.

C.K

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.