Full Length or Neck Only; What's Best Resizing for Accuracy?

The 3rd chamber drawing, this time the SAAMI 30-06 and has a .3016 freebore diameter and .0032 clearance on each side of the bullet. The match chamber used by German Salazar has a .3085 freebore diameter and .00025 clearance on each side of the bullet.

You have a soft annealed neck and case shoulder contacting the shoulder of the chamber with circular machining marks. And you are telling us the soft brass is going to smoothly center itself and center the bullet. Somehow I don't think the chamber surface is smooth enough and accurate enough to center the bullet with .00025 clearance on each side of the bullet.

I will say it again there are too many variations in chamber dimensions to make a blanket statement that the case shoulder centers the bullet with the variations in freebore diameter and throat angles. On top of this the bullet enters the freebore long before the case shoulder contacts the shoulder of the chamber. Meaning the bullet has more to do with centering the front of the cartridge than the case shoulder.

qkdayMb.jpg

Now look again at the image below and freebore diameter (G) of the various chamber reamers compared to the bullet diameter of .224.

wjAOlWq.jpg

Last edited:
The 3rd chamber drawing, this time the SAAMI 30-06 and has a .3016 freebore diameter and .0032 clearance on each side of the bullet. The match chamber used by German Salazar has a .3085 freebore diameter and .00025 clearance on each side of the bullet.

You have a soft annealed neck and case shoulder contacting the shoulder of the chamber with circular machining marks. And you are telling us the soft brass is going to smoothly center itself and center the bullet. Somehow I don't think the chamber surface is smooth enough and accurate enough to center the bullet with .00025 clearance on each side of the bullet.

I will say it again there are too many variations in chamber dimensions to make a blanket statement that the case shoulder centers the bullet with the variations in freebore diameter and throat angles.

qkdayMb.jpg
Edit to read .3106". We knew what you meant. No picking here. You probably covered this, but is he jamming the bullet ? I'm new to mr Salazar

Edit to read .3106". We knew what you meant. No picking here. You probably covered this, but is he jamming the bullet ? I'm new to mr Salazar

Thank you for the correction, I sometimes have dyslexic fingers.

Mr. Salazar did not jam the bullets.

Mr. Salazar had his own webpage with many reloading articles, but due to health reasons he shutdown his webpage that was a wealth of information.

SAAMI 30-06 drawing has no freebore at all. That .3106" dimension is the back end of the 1 degree 22 minute angled throat.

SAAMI copyrights their drawings so its illegal to copy them to other media.

To me it doesn't matter what Salazar says. I don't have only .00025" clearance in my chamber.

I don't have .00025" clearance in my .303 British Enfield chamber either but I get by. ;)
Please notice the position of the case shoulder.

sHgqVJR.gif

It is amazing how a bullet can center itself, even with a very long jump. :eek:

TeYqYFV.jpg

AZC1Gfg.jpg

SAAMI copyrights their drawings so its illegal to copy them to other media.

Now you want to make me a criminal OMG, did you ever hear of fair use for educatioal purposes?
Bart B is bobbing and weaving yet "again"!

How many websites at the link below have all the forum members in jail. :rolleyes:
https://www.google.com/search?q=SAA...Vkp1kKHRfeAuwQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1366&bih=602

FREE Official Cartridge Diagrams on SAAMI Website
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/12/free-official-cartridge-diagrams-on-new-saami-website/

Last edited:
Now you want to make me a criminal OMG, did you ever hear of fair use for educatioal purposes?
Bart B is bobbing and weaving yet "again"!

How many websites at the link below have all the forum members in jail. :rolleyes:
https://www.google.com/search?q=SAA...Vkp1kKHRfeAuwQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1366&bih=602

FREE Official Cartridge Diagrams on SAAMI Website
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/12/free-official-cartridge-diagrams-on-new-saami-website/
from that site's end link
Copyright © 2015 by Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute, Inc. All rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any form, in an electronic retrieval system or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher.[/qoute]
Accurate Shooter broke the law.

Doesn't matter if SAAMI chooses not to do anything about it. It says a lot about Accurate Shooter.

Last edited:
What does all this have to do with hunting chambers?

I did a 2,000 round test with a Savage .223. Among them was a side by side test of the same load with the only difference being neck sized and full length sized. The test consisted of ten five shot groups of each over about three weeks. This rifle positively prefered neck sized.

I did another with square and factory head brass, also. This rifle prefered square heads.

Accurate Shooter broke the law.

Dear Bart B

Read the copyright law under "Fair use and educational purposes".

I know what happened, Bart B didn't get edumacated after looking at the three different chamber drawings I posted. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts