Full Length or Neck Only; What's Best Resizing for Accuracy?

Have you ever taken a neck checker(barrel stub from the muzzle) cut with the chamber reamer, insert a bullet, use an arbor press to force the bullet into the lands? Get ready for the shock of your life!

While I'm not an engineer, I do know a little about sealing. Happen to be Sr VP of a $50M company that specializes in such things. I know if you initiate a low pressure leak path and then instantly increase the pressure a catastrophic failure will result. Try again. What would actually happen is the leak path would widen and crush the case as the pressure increased. You would get a face full of hot gas. This is how the Challenger crashed. Someone nicked a Kalrez o-ring opening the package with a razor knife. Nearly microscopic cut. You would think it would seal when pressure is applied. It is rubber after all. What actually happened is it created a tiny leak path. When they went throttle up and shot high pressure to it, we all know what happened.

More fuel... I was forming cases for a wildcat. Did not use enough powder, and the case did not seal properly. Pressure collapsed the shoulder and body of the case. Neck was fine. Pretty sure the bullet would have to still be in there for that to happen.

Last edited:
Thanks all! I'll try adding some amount of neck turning to my routine and see what it does. I've got some new brass to fire form before getting serious about an accuracy load. I'll do some comparisons.

If you have a factory chamber just remember turning the necks 100% means the neck has to expand more when fired and be reduced more when sizing. Meaning you are better off just skim turning and removing the high areas.

That being said I have had Remington .223 cases with as much as .009 neck thickness variations. So your better off sorting the cases with a neck thickness gauge like the Redding gauge below. And one turn of the wrist will tell you a great deal about the quality and uniformity of the cases. Then just skim turn the necks removing the high areas if you must turn the necks.

blZCE83.jpg

Your drawing 223 data is different than SAAMI's 223
Remington.

Don't try stacking your deck of false cards again.

The throat in my Savage .223 with a 1in9 twist is longer than my AR15 rifles. The short throated .223 rifles have a 1in14 or 1in12 twist and why I posted the chart with the variations in chambers.

Again the SAAMI drawings are guidelines and not written in stone and can vary by manufactures.

Remember, I am just a country redneck and not an engineer....and don't have the education to prove it.
I TOTALLY disagree with your comment. Since when do you or the rest of us NOT have the education to prove it? I bet you and I, along with most others on here, understand this stuff to a degree we know what works and doesn't. Plus, I'm betting 90% of us are country rednecks :)

While I'm not an engineer, I do know a little about sealing. Happen to be Sr VP of a $50M company that specializes in such things. I know if you initiate a low pressure leak path and then instantly increase the pressure a catastrophic failure will result. Try again. If you were correct what would actually happen is the leak path would widen and crush the case as the pressure increased. You would get a face full of hot gas. This is how the Challenger crashed. Someone nicked a Kalrez o-ring opening the package with a razor knife. Nearly microscopic cut. You would think it would seal when pressure is applied. It is rubber after all. What actually happened is it created a tiny leak path. When they went throttle up and shot high pressure to it, we all know what happened.
Here's this situation on a scale directly related to cartridges.

Shooting 7.62 NATO ammo in 30-06 chambers had a low pressure condition while the bullet traveled from case mouth about half an inch to the chamber throat. Pressure spiked as the bullet got engraved by the lands. No excessive pressure signs on fired cases having shoulders 1/16" long. Semiautomatic functionality was normal.

Here's this situation on a scale directly related to cartridges.

Shooting 7.62 NATO ammo in 30-06 chambers had a low pressure condition while the bullet traveled from case mouth about half an inch to the chamber throat. Pressure spiked as the bullet got engraved by the lands. No excessive pressure signs on fired cases having shoulders 1/16" long. Semiautomatic functionality was normal.
read what I added to that that is more relevant than the .308 in a 30-06 chamber

I TOTALLY disagree with your comment. Since when do you or the rest of us NOT have the education to prove it? I bet you and I, along with most others on here, understand this stuff to a degree we know what works and doesn't. Plus, I'm betting 90% of us are country rednecks :)
I'm just messing with Bart. Try as he may he cannot prove me wrong. And he IS an expert, or at least he is trying to convince us he is.... Or something. Its a slow day at work. Wish I was in the woods.

The throat in my Savage .223 with a 1in9 twist is longer than my AR15 rifles. The short throated .223 rifles have a 1in14 or 1in12 twist and why I posted the chart with the variations in chambers.

Again the SAAMI drawings are guidelines and not written in stone and can vary by manufactures.
I think you're confusing throat with freebore. Freebore, if any, is between chamber mouth and the angled throat (sometimes called leade).

Your drawing 223 data is different than SAAMI's 223
Remington.

Don't try stacking your deck of false cards again.

Nope, my 223 drawing is a SAAMI drawing.

Ask the guy who posted false chamber dimensions and made snide remarks about me.

I didn't post any chamber drawings, I just said your comment was false and you were shuffling trying to cover it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.