Forming 6.5-06 AI cases

dmgreene

Was wondering about forming 6.5 AI cases. If I remember right, I think Kirby wrote that he used 25-06 brass and simply loaded with boat tail bullets without having to neck size. Now that Nosler makes 280 AI brass would it be a better option to just neck size that brass down to 6.5 and have a case that is ready to go?
Thanks David

Was wondering about forming 6.5 AI cases. If I remember right, I think Kirby wrote that he used 25-06 brass and simply loaded with boat tail bullets without having to neck size. Now that Nosler makes 280 AI brass would it be a better option to just neck size that brass down to 6.5 and have a case that is ready to go?
Thanks David

Make sure to check the chamber length on your rifle... the 06 case is 2.494", and the 280 Rem is 2.540".

Make sure that you don't pinch the bullet at the step of the mouth.

Also... the neck/shoulder on the 6.5-06 is 2.175".
The neck shoulder for the 280 AI is also 2.175", so you will have to set back the shoulder about 15 thou for the smaller neck size.

But the biggest thing is that most shooters don't think Nosler brass is so good. Depending on who you talk to, it is made by either Hornady, or Winchester... is it worth the premium price??
I don't know any serious shooters that are using it.

I would fire form the cases from 30-06 Lapua brass. Much more better brass.

Just fill the case 3/4 with Bullseye and stick in a little piece of cotton ball and point it up and fire... Very easy and it works every single time period. Why waste barrel life fire forming? Have done thousands this way.

Thanks Cat and Boss. Thats what I like I like about this site, people that have been there, done that. Cat I agree with you about the Nosler brass not being worth the extra money. The only reason I was considering it was I figured I would offset some of the cost of the brass by maybe not having to fire form. Cat if I fireform using Lapua 30-06 brass will I have turn the necks if the chamber is cut for a no turn neck? Boss when you say fill 3/4 of the case full of bullseye, is this an aproximate measurement or do you have an exact charge for th 6.5 AI? Do you pack the case tight with cotten or just enough to keep the powder from falling out and how often do you need clean the barrel when fireforming, if at all?

Thanks Cat and Boss. Thats what I like I like about this site, people that have been there, done that. Cat I agree with you about the Nosler brass not being worth the extra money. The only reason I was considering it was I figured I would offset some of the cost of the brass by maybe not having to fire form. Cat if I fireform using Lapua 30-06 brass will I have turn the necks if the chamber is cut for a no turn neck? Boss when you say fill 3/4 of the case full of bullseye, is this an aproximate measurement or do you have an exact charge for th 6.5 AI? Do you pack the case tight with cotten or just enough to keep the powder from falling out and how often do you need clean the barrel when fireforming, if at all?

You won't have to turn the necks.

There is a technique called "COW" which means Cream Of Wheat... put a small load of fast posto; powder in the case. Fill it with Cream f Wheat, and point it up and fire.

The amount is not critical, but start low, and increase until the case shoulders fill out fully.

Search "COW" or C.O.W." on this site, and some other sites like:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/6mmbr

... and you will find what you need.

standard COW load for the 06 based case is 11 gr of unique, fill with cow, tap case to settle cow, plug with toilet paper or paper towel, if you have a brake, remove it, watch barrel heat.
But kirby's method should work well, and prolly shoot accurate enough for break-in, sighting in, and some hunting.
RR

If you blow out the cases as the guys are telling you you will have to trim the case mouth as they will come out of the chamber looking like a roller coaster, no where near square. At least that`s what I found when forming .221 fireball brass for .25 cal.

Very good questions----I learned this method from Speedy Gonzalez a BR HOF Member and one of the best Smiths around. The 75% I have used to make 6ppc all the way to the 338 Lapua variant which is the largest used by me.. Speedy has done well over 200k this way over the years.

The cotton or wax if you prefer is just to keep the powder from falling out packing is not recommended or needed…

Heat builds up quickly doing this and the best way to cool is to use a can of compressed air but turn it upside down and it will cool the barrel in a matter of seconds. I run a brush with butches about every 25 to 30 rounds or so. On my dedicated fire form barrels which I only have a few I run a 100 or so before I run a patch through. The bore scope has verified that this does not damage the bore however, when not using a dedicated fire form barrel the most I have ever done was 200 rounds.

Always when possible use Lapua Brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.