forming 6.5-06 AI cases

Rimu

Hi there, I am having a 6.5-06 AI built up and am thinking about brass to buy. I am a big fam of Lapua brass, and wondered if anyone has formed 6.5-06 AI cases from the Lapua 30-06 brass? I'm guessing I will need to turn the necks, but I was wondering if the case may end up too short - I think I remember reading this? otherwise I see people use 270 cases with a high degree of success, so I will just go for some nosler or norma. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I use lapua brass in all mine. I have to turn them a bit while they are at 30 cal, then I step them down with a 280 die, then my 6.5 die. If you want to take all the work out of fireforming them my buddy builds a slick hydroform die out of your existing die. You just have to change out the guts, it takes less than a minute. You can also set them up to be formed about .003" over a fired case and then run them through your die to sharpen the shoulder and bump them back to .001" under a fired case with out ever having to change the lockring on your die. Give him a call and he can explain it way better. He has built several of them for 6.5-06AI as well as 243AI's. Trevor at Cloud Peak Gunworks 307-568-3009. Or check out his website and send him an email. [email protected] website Cloudpeakgunworks.com

Thanks CPGfan, good to hear the Lapua works without any trouble. I will definately check out the website you mentioned

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.