forming 280 ai cases

Bob S.

How can a 280 ai case be formed? Does it need to be fireformed or can it be done by just resizing? Anyone got a website that is specific to ai wildcats? what about source for dies?

Just throw a loaded 280 round in the chamber, and press the trigger. Most die mfgs have dies for 280 Ackley.

Cowboy,

I am going to have my M700 280 rebarreled to 280 Rem AI with a Hart 24" #5 flutted barrel.
My gunsmithtells me that he runs a tight chamber and you can actually load virgin brass to fire form without seating bullets into the lands.
I feel it would be better to load light loads with bullets seated into the lands. I will most likely use 150 gr BT's for this and then start load development with 160 gr AB's.
My goal is to develope a 600 yard deer/caribou rifle and the 280 Rem AI should fit the bill.

What are you shooting and what loads are you going to develope?

Regards,

JD338

Don't know yet. I just came across a possible trade for a 280 ai encore and was wondering how tough it would be to do. I have not done anything in wildcats as of yet and thought I might make the jump. I just wanted to get an idea before I made up my mind.

Cowboy,

Timing is everything!
I am dropping off my M700 next week to my gunsmith when I am on over on the east side of the state. I should have it back about 7-8 weeks later.
I will have brass ready to go but won't load anything until I have the rifle in my hands. I will be starting with RL22 and the Nosler 160 gr AB ater I fireform cases.
Should be a fun summer project.

Keep me posted on what you do.

Regards,

JD338

Haha, yeah really...go figure.

Cowboy, do you know who is making your encore barrel? Is it foxridge or some custom outfit. Are you looking at a pistol or rifle configuration? You'll have to let me know regardless how your 280 AI turns out.

pistol config but I don't know who made it. I suspect it was foxridge but not 100% sure. I'm thinking of trading my 44 mag with several goodies for the encore. I don't think he has even fired it since he got it used. He traded for it. I know he has no brass for it. should be about an even trade if I can convince him to part with it. It has no scope just the iron sights and is stock except for the barrel? I don't think 280 ai was offered as stock config was it? I'll let you know what happens.

[ QUOTE ]
I have not done anything in wildcats as of yet and thought I might make the jump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi cowboy. If you are going to make the jump this is a good way to do it. Many many people I have spoken to about this cartridge believe it is THE best AI.

It technically is NOT a "wildcat" cartridge. It is an "improved" cartridge. As said above, you take a box of remington .280s and shoot them in your gun and the brass that comes out is .280 AI. Can't get much easier than that. The ballistics are VERY similar to the 7mm Mag but with less recoil and other benefits.

It is my understanding that your chamber is supposed to be cut so it is a snug fit from the bolt face to the BASE OF THE NECK. This is what keeps the brass from moving forward during the fireforming. I have not heard that the bullets are to be seated into the lands to hold the brass in place. This would be hard to do because the bullet you use for fire forming is not always the bullet you will use for your final loads. The base of the neck is a constant distance from the boltface. Then of course the shoulders move out and up during the forming.

I have coresponded with people that were getting well under MOA during the forming process so don't think of these as wasted rounds. Load them and use them on critters untill you have enough to load and test as AI loads. You will find the dies sold as ".280 rem 40 deg" instead of ".280 AI".

I dont own a custom or even a semi custom gun yet but when I do save the money for it I will be chambering it for this very round.

I must confess to a loose definition of wildcat. any cartridge that modification is needed to get the final result. I guess every cartridge fits under this def.
I'm assuming since the barrel is chambered for this round it will be of the appropriate dimensions to do the fireforming I'm also assuming the encore pistol is capable of performing this duty (bad assumptions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif). Technically there is no bolt so no boltface to hold cartridge exactly where it needs to be. I understand the whole thing can flex and cause head space problems resulting in excess stretch and eventual head seperation. but I think that is from to large a round. This whole thing may be for nothing, I don't know if the deal will go through. Its fun to ponder on it none the less.

If you want some 280 AI brass already formed, J.D. at SG&Y Precision (817-430-0206) has some nice ones. I am having a 280 AI built for me right now. Blueprinted Rem 700 action with a new trigger and extractor, Krieger 28" #5 fluted barrel, McMillan stock. It should be ready this June, depending on when the barrel arrives.

Cowboy, I just rebarreled a savage to 30-06 Imp. I had 10 boxes of 30-06 around, so I though I would use those to fire form. I have been breaking the barrel in the last week. As 4kedhorn said you can get good accuracy with the fire forming loads. Yesterday while continuing break-in I shot a four shot group, first was a flier out of clean bore next 3 touched each other. Just my 2 cents, My friend has 22-250 Imp and has had exelent results.

4ked -- you got it. the Ackley chambers are supposed to be 0.005 shorter headspace so you can cram in a parent round for FF'ing

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do not reduce loads for Ackley fire forming. I always use a good max load on my virgin brass and have never lost a brass. They are also accurate. Saves a lot of wear on you gun and reloading equipment. I like Winchester brass if you can get it. If you have to seat them in the lands to form brass your gunsmith messed up bad. The chamber should have .004"-.005" of crush on a new case.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts