6.5-06 AI fire form loads???

Fathead

Im trying to get some fire form rounds figured out for my 6.5-06 AI. I have been trying 120 grn Nosler BT with H4350. I have gone as low as 46 grns of the H4350 and am still getting case head expansion. I have tried seating my bullets longer than my guns col measurement to .020" off the lands. Im wondering if I need a different bullet/ powder combo to get better results. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

When I fire form my brass for my 6.5-06 AI I make sure that the bolt is tight to close. Are you using 270 trimmed or 25-06 brass? If you are using 270 brass leave a little bit of a false shoulder so that the bolt is tight in order to have the shoulder in the right place, using 25-06 go up to 270 and then back down to get the shoulder. This should help with the head separation. I use 270 brass that I have trimmed to my chamber and use loads that are close to my max, I haven't lost any new brass, I did loose a couple of older pieces that my father in law had. Hope this helps. Ryan

Pick a cheap long for caliber bullet, seat it so that it jams into the lands when you close the bolt with a stiff load (for the parent cartridge i.e. 6.5-06 non imp). This will help from stretching the web of your cases, as there is no room to grow in the rear portion of the case, only room to grow in the front. I've fireformed hundreds of AI rounds this way, usually results in good enough accuracy to target practice or shoot prairie dogs.

I use H414 when I fireform my 6.5-06AI brass. I'm using .270 brass trimmed and neck trurned and I'm cutting just into the neck/shoulder juncture. the case is still headspacing on this line and is a snug fit. I have to turn my necks, I have a tight necked chamber.

I also jam the bullets into the lands. Speer 120g Hot-cor bullets work great for this. They are also cheap and are accurate (like outlaw said) enough for chuck shooting out to 300yds while fireforming.

A note with h414, I first used 6.5-05 Data from the Hodgdon site. This is very a very light load even using the maximum charge listed. I was getting hang fires and delayed ignition. 3 more grains and a magnum primer fixed this problem. I have not lost a case yet and no case head expansion. These have resulted in perfect cases.

hope this helps
Dan

Thanks for the info. I am using remington 25-06 brass. Is it ok to have any kind of expansion in front of the extractor groove? When I shoot fire formed round with 140 grn Sierras and 59 grns retumbo I don't have any flat primers or other signs of exccesive pressure, only when fireforming do I have problems. I am jamming my fire form bullets into the lands also. Im almost tempted to try the cream of wheat method but would much rather shoot prarie dogs than cereal.

Fathead,

Some expansion is normal as the case is expanding to fit the improved chamber. The problem lies in shooting formed brass and having excessive expansion with the loads. This will reveal, and is one sign of excessive pressure.

Neck sizing the cases will help prolong brass life is you experience some expansion. Repeated FL sizing will work harden the brass and cause it to crack as well as causing it to streach. I FL size and trim after 4 firings and just enough to bump the shoulder. There are those who may disagree with me, however this is what I have found to work. I have some .243 Win brass (A little experimet of mine) that is on it's 12th loading with no problems yet. I check them very closely before they are loaded again.

what are you looking at loading for your final Improved loads???

hope this helps

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.