Forming 375 Ruger brass from 8x68s cases

:)I feel the need... the need for Speed.:D
PS: Whatever you do, do NOT mention this to Edd. LMAO...

Last edited:
Rich,
I'll be re-barreling soon. Is there any reason why your 30/375 S.I. Reamer couldn't be run 0.025" deeper, setting the shoulder length 0.025" longer?
AND then name it 30/375 S.H.I.?

H. for Horwath, of course! :D

Then run them with +50fps MV while utilizing the full length of the 8x68S casings.
Yes, you could do that. I did it with my 300 Sherman one time. Your dies wouldn't squeeze the last part of the case head, but unless the brass is wore out with over charges, you don't need it sized anyway. Especially when the brass starts at .518":D

I contemplated running the 338/375 reamer .080" deeper so I wouldn't loose any brass using RWS 8x68 but then I couldn't use Hornady brass if I chose to so I passed on that option. Besides I'm not able to run larger than 3.6" with my current mag setup. If I ever choose to change my mind I'm sure yorke wouldn't mind me being the Guinea pig

You neglected the most important part: S.H.I. Stamp on my barrel shank! ;)

Like you, I doubt the web will become a problem.

I contemplated running the 338/375 reamer .080" deeper so I wouldn't loose any brass using RWS 8x68 but then I couldn't use Hornady brass if I chose to so I passed on that option.

No offense, but you're unlikely to have any desire to run the Hornady brass, compared to the Norma 8x68S.

I'll have to go back and revisit at my 8x68S case prep and fire forming process, and see how much deeper I can run elkaholic's reamer in without running out of the available 8x68S parent case length. With my magic lube oil and COW fire forming methods, I incurred only minor case length shrinkage as the cases blew out to fill my chamber. Then determine if I want to wildcat a wildcat. A wildcatted wildcat is still a WILD cat. :) It just scoots faster. I'm not into it for resale value...

I don't have any desire to jump up to 300RUM case capacity. Already have one bore cooker. One purpose of the 30/375 S.I. (for me) was to achieve decent bore life AND improved MV with the heavy for caliber bullets. It's a nice compromise.

No offense, but you're unlikely to have any desire to run the Hornady brass, compared to the Norma 8x68S.

I'll have to go back and revisit at my 8x68S case prep and fire forming process, and see how much deeper I can run elkaholic's reamer in without running out of the available 8x68S parent case length. With my magic lube oil and COW fire forming methods, I incurred only minor case length shrinkage as the cases blew out to fill my chamber. Then determine if I want to wildcat a wildcat. A wildcatted wildcat is still a WILD cat. :) It just scoots faster. I'm not into it for resale value...

I don't have any desire to jump up to 300RUM case capacity. Already have one bore cooker. One purpose of the 30/375 S.I. (for me) was to achieve decent bore life AND improved MV with the heavy for caliber bullets. It's a nice compromise.
you won't affend me. Barrels are like tires. You burn them up faster on a hot rod. Plus it costs more to burn up a barrel than it does to replace one

I have 1400 rounds and going strong on mine!

I have wildcatted a lot of different rounds from 20 cal up to large magnums and everything in between. Some very radical, some as simple as a shoulder angle alteration or just necking down one caliber size.

The 8x68s is a .360 round. My 338-375 Ruger is obviously a couple caliber sizes smaller. Since the case is being necked down, I will not use COW and fast powder for fireforming. I will fireform using the "false shoulder" method in low-mid power loaded rounds. It is guaranteed to give full case formation with one firing. Im sure the folks with experience making radical wildcats know about that method (although this one isn't very "radical"). I can explain if there are some not familiar with it.

Definitely looking forward to finally having some decent brass for this great round :)

Last edited:
The 8x68s is a .360 round. My 338-375 Ruger is obviously a couple caliber sizes smaller. Since the case is being necked down, I will not use COW and fast powder for fireforming.

I like the COW because it creates the 99% complete case volume without the extra powder and a wasted bullet sent down the bore. After the COW firing, the case sidewalls and shoulder are fully formed, I can load bullets and proceed with normal load development. The same as with any new casing in any factory cartridge.

Also, I've figure out how to minimize the case length shrinkage with the C-O-W, so no negatives. Advantages are 20gr shotgun powder instead of 75-80gr rifle powder, C-O-W instead of a bullet, less erosion of the throat in order to fully form the case to the point of formal load development.

Well your still burning up primers. Personally I'd like to hit targets if I'm burning up any powder, primers, or bullets. But that's just my preference. I'm glad there is options

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.