Wildcat Forming Brass From Parent Case

Good

Hey guys, many of you have experience forming something new from a parent case. I have a wildcat I've been working on for a few years that shortens the parent case (338 Lapua) a whole bunch, and I have a 3-D printed sample. How can I shorten a parent cartridge a whole lot, while introducing a new shoulder/neck in the body portion of the parent case? I probably need to call a reamer/die maker but I thought y'all might have it figured out and could help a first timer at least start down the road the right direction. I figure the necks will need a bunch of turning so have neck turning equipment. Thank you for your time.

Hey guys, many of you have experience forming something new from a parent case. I have a wildcat I've been working on for a few years that shortens the parent case (338 Lapua) a whole bunch, and I have a 3-D printed sample. How can I shorten a parent cartridge a whole lot, while introducing a new shoulder/neck in the body portion of the parent case? I probably need to call a reamer/die maker but I thought y'all might have it figured out and could help a first timer at least start down the road the right direction. I figure the necks will need a bunch of turning so have neck turning equipment. Thank you for your time.
How much is a bunch? I asked because you might be able to use a .338 NM case instead.

Good evening and hope that you and your family are doing well.
How much do you want to "Shorten" the case? Is it a .338LM? What is the caliber size, still a .338? What are you trying to accomplish? Is there another parent case that you can use to get you results (short mag)? Maybe there is already a Wildcat cartridge out there.

you will need case forming dies. they can be made with your chamber reamer and die blanks to form the new neck and shoulder. it has to be done in multiple steps say .458, .416, .375, .338. you will also need annealing equipment as well as neck turning. plan on annealing multiple times and neck turning at least twice once at .416 and then .338 that will help with the doughnut you are going to get. also might consider an inside neck turner.
this is a very labor intense process, take your time and don't get frustrated you will ruin a lot of brass setting things up and perfecting your technique.

you will need case forming dies. they can be made with your chamber reamer and die blanks to form the new neck and shoulder. it has to be done in multiple steps say .458, .416, .375, .338. you will also need annealing equipment as well as neck turning. plan on annealing multiple times and neck turning at least twice once at .416 and then .338 that will help with the doughnut you are going to get. also might consider an inside neck turner.
this is a very labor intense process, take your time and don't get frustrated you will ruin a lot of brass setting things up and perfecting your technique.
Excellent, thank you, I wonder how many steps it would take... Do you think the reamer manufacturer would know that?

I was literally asking custom rifle builders about this 10 years ago and it's been floating in my head for years before that. I've finally gained some traction, albeit still early stages. I'm going to have a few more rounds printed to try to tune OAL for reliable mag repeating. Then it's time for reamer/dies.

He got banned. 🤬🤬🤬

He's in FB Precision Rifled Ordnance.
aw, bummer

I'd buy or build a case forming die like those that Skip Otto/Butch Lambert/Paul Becigneul/etc. make or used to make.
1702179518465.png