Forming 375 Ruger brass from 8x68s cases

I purchased 40 RWS 8x68S cases and 20 Norma 8x68S cases from Huntington Die Specialties around June, 2018.

In August, 2018, I purchased 50 Norma 8x68S cases from Midway USA. Then in November, 2018, I purchased 25 more Norma 8x68S cases from Midway USA.

I keep track of case weights and lengths of new cases when I purchase them, just as they're received - straight out of the boxes they arrive in. This post is an update on a "lack" of consistency in 8x68S case weights between different Lots of Norma 8x68S cases. I was quite disappointed after weighing the last 25 Norma cases I received. The average case weight was 7.0 grains less than the prior 50 Norma cases from a different Lot of Midway USA supplied Norma cases. This WILL require a different powder charge (larger) to obtain equal velocity from these cases compared to the prior 50 Norma cases from a different production Lot. Bummer.

Some members poo poo the intrinsic value of weighing cartridge cases. I ALWAYS weigh mine, and realize real benefit from doing so.

Below is a table that shows the differences between the Norma 8x68S cases I've received since June 2018. One 20-count from Huntington (no production Lot Number on the Huntington supplied cases). Two 25-count (50 total) from Midway USA Lot Number 8818. One 25-count from Midway USA Lot Number 10318.

Notice that the average weight of a Norma case from Huntingtons was 10.7gr heavier than this last batch I received from Midway USA. If Norma cases keep getting lighter at this rate, pretty soon they'll float on water. :rolleyes:
Be aware! Better than a nasty surprise. Perhaps RWS brass is worth the extra cost.

Norma 8x68S New Cases Comparison.JPG

Last edited:
Good info Paul. I only bought one 20 pack of Norma at same time as RWS back last summer. They measured fairly close and water volumes on sample cases were similar however the Norma did vary a little more on the few I measured that way. I did not weigh and sort every case. Also noted that a few of the RWS cases were much longer( .010+)than the other RWS. Recently (Saturday) shooting some ladders I noticed three oddball speeds (30-50 FPS faster than
What the procession was going), and then on a 5 shot group of all the same load and bullet there were two within 2 FPS and exactly what I'd run that load a week or so before in colder weather, and 3 that were 10-50 FPS faster. I had all the rounds labeled so I went back through all the empties and all the oddballs were Norma cases and they were all faster than the RWS. Again this was last summers Norma. I do need to go through and weigh all the new brass (all RWS)that I recently got in as I start fresh on this batch.
Jace

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.