Forming 300 Ultra Brass from 404 Jeffery

ss8541

I am thinking of buying a 3-die set from Huntingtons to form 404 Jeffery brass into 300 Ultra brass. The Remington stuff is very poor. I have ordered single cases from HDS, RWS, and Bertram. I will cut these up and play with them to get an idea of differences. I am hoping that the .539 rim will just fit into my Remington 700 bolt face of .541 and still function. I know that I will have to fire form my brass, and turn necks of course. But, what am I missing here? Who do you think makes the best brass for this? I would really love to hear some opinions.
Thanks,
Vince

steve smith

A less expensive route would be to get redding form and trim dies in 375 and 338 ultra mag. Then run it through a 300fl die. Let the 375 set the head space and adjust the 338 so to just touch the shoulder. I used the 375, 338, 300, and 7mm to form 270x300ultra mag and it works quite well.

ss8541

Thanks, TXHunter. What manufacturer of brass did you use. I take it you where not happy with the Remington brass either.
Vince

steve smith

I used Norma 404 brass, with a light coating of imperial size die wax they go through slicker than snot. And they only cost around $22.00 a piece.

ss8541

TXHUNTER, I had a fellow reply to me today on this subject. He said that due to the smaller base diam. of the 404 cases that I would not be happy with the results of fire formed brass in the 300 ultra chamber. Did you use a m700 action? If so, did you have any problems getting the 404 rim to fit into your bolt face or did you have a Sako extractor installed? Did you run into a sittuation where the base was to small? Do you think that the extra trouble is worth the better brass. If I can get better brass then it seems to be worth it to me. A 1/8" difference in group size at 100 would sure make things worth while or the ability to boost preasures a little higher.
Vince

steve smith

Can't hepl you with wether they will fire form well or not. I too have given thought to the fact that the 404 will be a tad under sized, will just have to see. My rifle is still at the smith, haven't had a chance to shoot yet. I sent him 3 formed 404 cases to be test fired and expect to here from him pretty soon.
Yes it is on a 700 action and I did have a sako extractor installed.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce