Form 1 disapproval

I honestly haven't heard of anyone lately getting approval on a form 1 , but then again- I havent followed closely since they went to fp cards, pics, bgc for all responsible parties of a trust

Last edited:
I honestly haven't heard of anyone lately getting approval on a form 1 , but then again- I havent followed closely since they went to fp cards, pics, bgc for all resonsible parties of a trust
They're still approving them, they just make you jump through some hoops and won't approve it if they think you're using premade parts. My most recent one was approved in mid April.

I got one approved in mid April as well finally, only took 30 days for that one. Still waiting on another, I'm at 76 days since submission and still haven't heard a thing

The legal definition of silencer includes "any part intended only for use in [a silencer]". About a year ago the ATF determined form 1 kits, undrilled cones, and other similar parts are intended only for use in making silencers. Thus, they are already silencers, and can't be used to make a silencer on a form 1.

Prior to last year's mass denial they didn't really care. Since then they've required extra information prior to approval, which they use to determine whether or not you're using parts that meet their interpretation of the definition of silencer. I'm sure there's people lying on their forms, getting approved, and using premade parts, but that's not something I'd recommend.
So if I understand that right even a block of aluminum you plan to turn on a mill is already a suppressor and illegal. Is that correct?

So if I understand that right even a block of aluminum you plan to turn on a mill is already a suppressor and illegal. Is that correct?
They have some poorly defined idea of when something goes from raw material to silencer. It seems like raw materials, like a block of aluminum from McMaster, isn't considered a silencer. Once you do any operation to it with the intent of making a silencer it becomes a silencer. They haven't made any kind of official statement to that effect though.

There's screenshots online of email thread between the owner of Quiet Bore and someone who's supposedly an ATF examiner. The owner of Quiet Bore posted them when this all went down last year. The examiner claims that a piece of pipe from Home Depot isn't a silencer, but once you cut a 6" section off with the intent of making a silencer it becomes a silencer. As far as I'm aware those emails have never been authenticated, so I can't say whether or not they were actually from an ATF examiner.

It's all about "intent"--- always has been when it comes to the atf--- somehow they can read our minds and know what our intent is. They have used this "intent" excuse for tennis balls, cane tips and triggers in the past, used it for bump stocks, sbr's, and arm braces, now they are using it for form 1's--- history repeats it's self

But then again, when you file for a form 1 it's obvious that you intend to build a suppressor as that is what you are filing for.

If they really wanted to stretch the "suppressor definition" then each baffle, tube, end cap is in and of its self a suppressor-- with that thinking each and every part should have an individual $200 fee/tax stamp and serial number on it. They went through this a while back with "oil filter adapters" too. As technology and the internet advances-- they can't change the old wording so they just "reinterpret" it to meet their agenda

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll just scrap any ideas of doing a form 1 suppressor as that seems to walk a thin line and I'll just go buy a ready made suppressor.