Flatest shooting cartridge

Wildcat,
I believe the flatest shooting cartridge to 400 yards is the 6.17 Lazzeroni flash. See above post for drop @ 400 yards.
The 338 Allen mag will eat it at long range or in the wind.I believe the 338's drop @ 400 yards is 6.3 inches.
Regards.
hjl

The trick to flat shooting at 400 yards is all about velocity. Any round that will do around 4000 fps is going to be as flat as the next to 400 yards. Now you just have to decide what you want to happen when the bullet gets there. A light projectile will do minimal pelt damage where a heavier one will give a lot more graphic results. If it was my choice a 26" barreled 257Wby with 75 grain V-Max's right at 4000 fps is most efficient dog medicine. If you want real graphics a 300Wby with 110 grain Hornady spitzers at 4000 is a proven dog vaporizer.

I believe a super 6mm is the flatest shooting cartridge to 400 yards. Along those lines what does everyone think of.
Is there a 6mm stw ie a 7mm stw necked down to 6mm?
What is a 6/ 264 win mag called?
I believe a 6 / 257 weatherby mag is called a 6mm cactus.
Would a 6/257 castus be better than a 6/264 wm because weatherby brass is better?
Anyone use one of these & what speed is possible with 70 gn projectiles?
Thank you for your replys.
Regards.
hjl

Well i have tested for "chit and giggles" the 338 snipe-tac with a nosler 200grn BT bullet, at 4000fps outa the muzzle its pretty darn flat. 100 yard sight in, 9 clicks is dead on at 400yds. If i sighted it in like the Lazzeroni 6mm specs, 1.5" high at 100yds, that would equal dead on at 400yds. I used these for fire forming loads in my early tests on the new caliber. There is no recoil, lots of noise!

Dave

My nickles worth...

I have a family member that has a large ranch and has problems with feral dogs on a continuing basis. They pack up and attack calves. They can run upwards of 70+ pounds at times, and the ranges are L-O-N-G.

I started with a 22-250, but it ran out of steam and was not reliable past 400/500. I went to a 6mm Rem, and it gave me more reach to about 600-ish.
Then I went to a 300 Win mag in a 40 XB with 178 V-Maxs at 2950.

Worked well at longer ranges and I regularly took dogs to 8090-ish, but I was worried about the bullets tagging an expensive breeding bull, cuz they did not "blow up fast" the way the Hornady rep said they would.

I just picked up a Remington Sendero-II in .264 Win Mag.

I went to this because of the following - there is a 95gr V-Max available for the 6.5 bore size, and the the heaviest varmint bullet in .25 bore is a lighter 75 gr.

The .264 with the 95 V-Max is the flattest shooting rig (using fragile bullets) that is available in a standard case.

While the thought of an exotic wildcat like the 6mm bullet on a .264 case sounds like fun, I'm not sure that's a practical way to go, just for feral dogs...
... of course, one could argue that buying a Sendero-II just for feral dogs doesn't make sense either, but I never met an excuse to buy a rifle that I didn't surender to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would go with a 300 mag necked to 6mm over the shorter cases like the WBY use Lapua cases and you will be good to go but in reality i would not use a 6mm. I would rather use a 25 or 6.5 The 264 Win Mag would be an excelant rifle for you and if you want more get up and go it can be rechambered to 6.5 Remington Ultra Mag with no troubles at all. You can use a Redding or Forster competition seater and run the Ultra mag reamer into it and then get a &mm Ultra Type S buching Full length Sizing die and use a bushing for a 6.5 case in it and you will have dies that fit the case well for a minimal expense over custom dies for an odd wildcat.

The best could be one of the Rem Sendaro II's in 264 Win Mag rechambered to 6.5 Ultra or even left as is in 6.5 you can use Sierra MatchKings from 107gr to 142gr and i have a mate here in OZ that has a few thousand 155gr MAtchKings that are discontinued that would make it an awsone long range rifle for feral Pigs and other medium game.

If you went with one i would get it skim bedded with Devcon Steel and fit a larger recoil lugg, adjust the trigger ( Or Replace if it was not suitable) fit a Good Muzzle Break and a Nightforce 8-32 NXS with a 30moa base also when the rifle is fitted with the larger recoil lug and muzzle break re crown the barrel. If i was to do the work i would lap the factory Remington barrel before re chambering and crowning as it realy helps to smooth the bore and they run in better and foul less. You could also fit one of the Defensive Edge adjustable cheek Pieces.

I think the post is a little badly named as you do want a very flat shooting cartrige but it has to be practicle to carry in the vehical at all times and be light enough to deploy quickly with a bipod. I would personaly fit a larget bolt knob aswell but it would not be essential.

I would probably use a Harris S type swivel bipod with a Pod Loc on it and a rear Mono pod the reason is it will get shot over the bonnet of the work ute and the rubber feet do not scratch the paint up to much and they also dont slide off when the rifle is just siting there.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Wild Bill,
Thank you for your reply.
I like your idea of minimal expense dies.
I am not familar with the 6.5 ultra mag.
What velocity can you get with 100gn to 140 or 142?
What velocity can you get with 155gn?
Do you know of a 6.5 ultra mag reamer in Australia?
Do you know of anyone with a 6.5 ultra mag rifle in Australia?
Regards.
hjl

hjl
Give me an email my email is in my profile or call em on

Home 03 54470864
Mobile 0428388993

Cheers Bill

hjl,

What size are the dogs?

The 204 with 35 or 40 grain Bergers has accounted for a lot of coyotes in this country at the ranges you are talking about. And there is basically no recoil.

I will let you compare the ballistics to the swift.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.