Flatest shooting cartridge

hjl

Someone asked me for the best rifle for shooting wild dogs.I suggested a 220 swift being a old swift fan. A swift works really well to 300 yards but what about 400 yards. What are everyone's thoughts. Needs to be 2 inch high @ 100 yards and x low at 400 yards. The flatter the better. This rifle won't be shot a lot. It is to be used to shot dogs attacking livestock.
Regards.
hjl

i

if 400yds is gonna be the max I'd say the 6-284 with 75gr
V-max bullets running out at near 4000fps , basicaly a 220 on alot of steroids !!
but for factroy ammo I'd say the 22-250 or 243 with the 55gr Ballistic tips, they have a higher bc than the 55gr 22 cals and are running at a listed 4000fps should be good to 400yds.

As J D said the 6-284 is awesome and if you have
lots of wind and 400+ yrd shots a 7RUM with 120s at
3800fps or 140s at 3600 fps would work well.

The 7 RUM is a little big but it shoots flatter than
a 22-250 using 140s. besides I herd you guys in australia
like big guns.

Just a though
J E CUSTOM

Hi i woudl go with the 243 over the swift. The 40gr projectiles in the swift loose a lot of energy and at that range are not well suited for wild dogs. Now for a factory cartrige i would go with the 243 but if he is a hand loader and looking for a new fifle the 6mm-284 would be an awsome performer with 75gr projectiles like JDJ said. get him to purchase a new Remington 700 VLS pillar bed it and adjust the trigger then have the action squared and trued and have the barrel rechambered to 6mm284 and he wil have a rifle that shoots flat enough but also has enough energy aswell as accuracy to do the job. There is no use having a rifle that shoots flat and is not accurate enough to shoot past 300 yards or does not have enough energy to humanely dispatch the feral's. I would also look at a good muzzle break one without top and bottom ports so the shots can be spotted to the target and multiple shots can be taken in case af a mob of dogs. Also the 6mm284 will feed through a Rem 700 short action with the shorter projectiles like the 75gr-87gr types. If he needs someone to do the work i can have it done or get it done if he needs it.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Post script

The 30 X 378was tested with a 70 gr bullet by the military and it exceeded 6000 feet per second (you do the math) now thats flat.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Another option is a 6mm Rem SAUm or 6mm WSM i prefer the Rem case and design or neck it to 25 a 25 Rem SAUM or 25WSM would be top i would probably look at the 25 with a short mag case but the performance would be awsome with 87gr projectiles just the medicine for long range feral dogs.

And if you realy want flat shooting Redding lists 25 Remington Ultra Mag dies now that would be what i would call flat shooting and any Rem 700 in 25-06 could be rechambered to that.

Cheers bill
Australia

A 220 swift will do the job if he is looking for a factory rifle. Shoot a 50gr B-tip or v-max and you will be fine. You can even go to 55gr or 60gr bullets. I have shot deer out to 500 yards with a swift using a 50gr B-tip traveling at 3995FPS. You will not have a problem with dogs out to 400 or 500 yards.

I was gonna say either 220 swift and 55g bullets at 3900fps or a 25-06 and 75g bullets at 3800fps. Either one will get the job done easily to 500 yards. There both fast and flat and would have some pretty good splat factor. The swift can also double up as a deer rifle if need be with good results.

Wild Bill,
Thank you for your reply.
What is a 25 rem ultra mag? Is it a 7mm rum necked down to 25 cal?
What do you think of the Lazzeroni 6.17 flash? It does 4200 fps with 70 gn 6mm projectiles. 1.5 inches high @ 100 yards 2.2 in high @ 200 yds zero @ 300 yds 5.9 inches low @ 400 yards.Wow. Anything better than that!
Regards.
hjl

Wild Bill,
What muzzel brake would you recommend? I have heard that the holland qd & the jp recoil elimanitor are good with the jp being the best.
Regards.
hjl

Hi i amke a design similar to the JP and they work well but the design that Shawn make is similar to the Holland and is very well made It is a Defensive Edge Muzzle Break the 4 port type is awsome for heavy barrels and the slim line 3 port looks great on sporter weight barrels. I am beed blasting my new prototypes i will post a photo on my Rem Model7 7mm SAUM. But by all means get either type you have mentioned. The main thing is not having exit ports under the barrel that kick up dust and debris every where and top ports realy make it hard to see at night with a spotlight.

The 25 Ultra Mag is a 300 Ultra mag necked to 25 cal but the 7mm Ultra cases would be the ones to use the reason it is based on toe 300 is because it was the first one. The 25 Short action ultra is the Rem 300 case necked to 25. The 25 Ultra would be the ultimate for long range flat shooting with high BC projectiles it would be a good contender for 1000 yard shots.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I would have to say the flattest shooting caliber would be the 338 Allen Mag. It's a 408 Chey Tac necked down to 338, and it's improved. It will shoot a 300grn Match King at 3400 to 3500fps, and a 350grn VLD at around 3100 to 3200 fps. Now that's awesome and a very very flat shooting machine, that's why I am having one built.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts