Bolt face to cartridge

Be gentle, I'm trying to figure out this new hobby of mine.

I'm looking around at some gun parts and toying around with some build ideas. I have what feels like a simple question that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

Is there a chart or something that can define what actions and bolt faces go to what cartridge?

Example: 22-250, I assume that's a regular bolt face on a short action? But a 300 PRC, is that a standard or a Magnum bolt face, I assume it's a long action? Etc.

Be gentle, I'm trying to figure out this new hobby of mine.

I'm looking around at some gun parts and toying around with some build ideas. I have what feels like a simple question that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

Is there a chart or something that can define what actions and bolt faces go to what cartridge?

Example: 22-250, I assume that's a regular bolt face on a short action? But a 300 PRC, is that a standard or a Magnum bolt face, I assume it's a long action? Etc.
Check this out >>>

Wikipedia is super helpful here as they show parent cartridges for anything that has one in their little spec section on the right.

JE Custom was our own personal "Wikipedia" on this site.

A search of these pages that yields anything of value will almost certainly have his fingerprints on it. JE Custom's true depth of knowledge will be felt around here for many decades to come.

Thanks to FEENIX for reposting his work here.

@SparkyNick I often consult Nosler Load Data. Nosler publishes their manuals online.

For example, search in your browser

308 load data

A link to nosler's manual should be near the top. Click on it and you will see a dimensional drawing of the cartridge.

There are 4 main boltfaces;

.378" (.223 rem)
.473" (standard boltface)
.535" (magnum boltface)
.588" (Not sure what to call this one - the original MAGNUM bolt face! most commonly used for .338 lapua these days, but includes 300 Norma, but has been in use for over a century with big bores (like the 416 Rigby) and was further popularized with development of the 378wby back in the 1950's)

Last edited:
This is all great info, but, any maybe this is ignorance from being a newbie, it seems like this could all be consolidated into one easy to read chart? Maybe I'll start trying to put one together and post it. Maybe I'll discover in my attempt why I haven't been able to find one yet.

Here's to learning!

Here's a partial list of cartridges to get you started.......note it's only partial, and there's still quite a few missing. 🙂
I think Handskills pretty much nailed it, once you realize there's really only 4 sizes, (and a few odd balls like the 6.5 grendel at .445) you can almost tell at a glance what bolt face it needs.- Not to discourage you at all, a list would be cool, but I think nobody has done it because it's a big list......

Attachments

• Cartridge list.pdf
    284.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
This is all great info, but, any maybe this is ignorance from being a newbie, it seems like this could all be consolidated into one easy to read chart? Maybe I'll start trying to put one together and post it. Maybe I'll discover in my attempt why I haven't been able to find one yet.

Here's to learning!
If you think you can do better and have the time to do it, by all means, go for it and then share it here. I am sure Jerry would not mind as he looks at us with a smile from heaven.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.