Help picking caliber for SA .473 bolt face

Thanks for all the feedback, if this barrel gets knocked off a 260 tube will go back on.

That said, I think I owe it to the gun to keep working up a load. Additionally I am going to have it recrowned, looks a bit suspect, its just not as smooth as some examples I've seen here. And it covers my bases,,,,,I'm also going to pillar bed, it's already bedded but I figure why not, and really cover my bases.

(to expand on the crown, there are tooling marks, but also right at the rifling there is no chamfer, just cut square, ones I've seen have a small 45 there, sure won't hurt to get it re done)

So far I've just tried 2 bullets, the barnes and nosler Partitions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I need to feed it some different stuff, nosler BT's in 120 and 140 is where I'll start

Recrown and pillar bedding can't hurt.

You definitely need to try some different bullets. Barnes and Partitions are not especially known for their accuracy.

Nosler BT's on the other hand......great accuracy reputation.

So far I've just tried 2 bullets, the barnes and nosler Partitions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I need to feed it some different stuff, nosler BT's in 120 and 140 is where I'll start
Good move. Try the Accubonds, or some Bergers too.

I just put together a rifle chambered in .270/08AI. It's on a Savage M10 action with a stainless 25" Douglas XX premium that really shoots! I too was fed up with the 7/08, I couldn't get my Remington to shoot and after flirting with the 6.5-.284 for a couple of years it's just too finicky to load for. The .270/08AI is something i have been wanting to do for years and I finally took the plunge, I'm really glad I did, my chronograph is down at the moment but I expect .270 Winchester performance with 10 grains less powder and it really shoots so far. I don't have too many rounds down the pipe yet but the fire forming load and the one hunting load I have tried so far (only one 5 shot group each) were both under .5" If it will maintain this level of accuracy I expect it will be my primary mid-range hunting rifle. You might give it a look if you don't mind the case forming chores.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts