long action magnum bolt face calibers

Big_Tex22

Well I've decided to start hunting for a model 700 action to build a 300 RUM. What my question is, can ya'll give me a list of comparable "calibers" in the 700 that will work for 300 RUM action length and bolt face?

It has a 0.534 bolt face. This is about the same as the Wby 257,270, 7mm,300 Mags. Same same as 300 H&H and 300Win mag, 7 mmRem mag, 264 Win mag.
Go to your laoding manual and check head diameters.

This is the common Magnum diameter but not the super mags like the 378 Wby and 416 and 338 lapua

Big_Tex22,

There are dozens, what do you plan on doing with the rifle. Knowing that we can recommend more specific rounds to fill your needs then blast you with 30 different rounds with a standard magnum head size.

Ever hear of the 270 AM?? Sorry, had to plug my round /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I'm wanting to start a 1000 yard capable custom built, 700 action squared up, broughton, hart, shilen barrel haven't decided for sure. McMillan stock of some sort, probably jewell trigger. I at first was leaning toward the 300 win mag, but am leaning now toward the RUM, I guess mainly for the ability to push the 220+ grain over 3000. I know there are lots of other options I've read about on here as far as caliber, but I haven't really made it into wildcats yet, I'm still in the factory produced brass stage and not reformed or trimmed, necked down calibers. Maybe one day I'll advance into those. And from what I've read on here so far, the 300 RUM has a lot of potential. I'm just building a toy, nothing competitive, but something I can lay down and play with at the long range, really my first run at 1000 yard and learning the long range ballistic game. I've read about starting with something simple like a 308 and I know it would do great, but I'm more of a hit a little harder guy, and I don't want to shoot sub 200 grain and wish I had something a little heavier the whole time.

Nevertheless, I'm just keeping my ears open for an action in the meantime and was wondering about comparable calibers to start with as far as action length and boltface. I don't want to get anything that requires to much extra gunsmithing.

The 300 Win and 300 RUM will both make excellent long range rounds. Remember though that the higher the intensity of the round, the more difficult it can be to get good consistant loads.

In simplier terms, it is generally easier to get a 300 Win Mag to shoot REALLY well then it is a 300 RUM. That said, both are not hard to make sure by any means.

Other rounds to consider would be all the 7mm rounds from the Rem Mag up to the 7mm RUM. including the STW.

The 7mm RUM is a bit hard on barrels for alot of shooting but it is impressive when the rifle is set up to use the heavy VLD or ULD bullets such as the 200 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat Bullet. Will offer ballistics above that of even the 240 gr class 30 cal bullets in the RUM.

A more user friendly option would be the STW in my opinion and still offer plenty of power from the get go!!

You will find the most important thing after a quality rifle build is what bullet your using. This will make more difference at extreme range then any other aspect of a properly designed and built rifle. Its the bullet that does the work after all the bang and boom is over. All bullets are not created equal either. Find out what you want to do and make sure there are bullets available in that caliber to get you want you want. Then build the rifle accordingly.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I'm after some info on this too. I have decided that I need a 300 rum or is that maybe just want not need, anyway.

I want to have a rifle built but not from scratch. I just want to maybe pick up a second hand rifle and rechamber to 300rum and rebarrel but I need to know what actions and bolts would be suited to be rechambered?

Well I've decided to start hunting for a model 700 action to build a 300 RUM. What my question is, can ya'll give me a list of comparable "calibers" in the 700 that will work for 300 RUM action length and bolt face?

Big tex

I posted a list of bolt faces in gunsmithing so if you do a search there maby it will help

And as kirby said the list can be narrowed if you know the round you want to build.

If it is a 300 RUM then I would try to find any calibre RUM because the rails and the mag
box are allready made to fit.

Check out the list and it will whitch will work with no bolt face work but some minor
fitting may be required.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.