First Time Shooting Long Range

What a great range day. We went to Delta range at Shooters Gauntlet in PA. I was pleasantly surprised with how well my equipment worked. I started out at closer targets around 200 and worked my way out to verify my data was good which it was. The 4DOF app was spot on. It's so satisfying dialing in for a particular distance and smacking the s*** out of the steel on the first round. 1070 wasn't as hard as I anticipated, granted at that distance the steel was 36"x24". I printed some decent groups on the plate but not near as good as my buddies with their custom 6XC's and Desert Tech (6XC and 338LM barrels). After a while we set out a steel milk jug target at 1070 and placed our wagers. 1st shooter made a second round impact, 2nd shooter made 1st round impact and I danced around it for 10 straight shots. I paid up and was humbled. After my barrel cooled I tried again and made a 1st round impact on my second 10 shot string attempt. Once we all got dialed in we abused that target; the desert tech even made 6 consecutive impacts. We broke for lunch then moved back to the 1485yd shooting position. This is where the 300 PRC and 338 LM shined over the 6XC rifles. I shot first, and made impact on my 3rd shot and everything came together. I was able to consecutively and consistently hit the 36x24" target, which for me was a great accomplishment. My hand loads, data collection and everything else all came together and made every penny I spent totally worth it. Needless to say I'm pumped for my next outing. I have a ton to learn but for this trip I accomplished everything I wanted to and then some. Thanks for all the feedback going into this, you guys are great. Attached are some pictures from the day including a bear we saw on our way off the mountain.

Attachments

• FF612A16-51F7-49BC-8453-85D06BD27218.jpeg
    FF612A16-51F7-49BC-8453-85D06BD27218.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 111
  • 629A17CF-9398-41CA-B8EA-CC35DBC4B148.jpeg
    629A17CF-9398-41CA-B8EA-CC35DBC4B148.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 110
  • 0CD550EC-202C-421E-B03C-F5D5CFFF44B1.jpeg
    0CD550EC-202C-421E-B03C-F5D5CFFF44B1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 106
  • F4471E1B-95A2-465A-AB35-947F1E56B8E7.jpeg
    F4471E1B-95A2-465A-AB35-947F1E56B8E7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • 03BA154A-01DF-4507-A913-52778351E626.jpeg
    03BA154A-01DF-4507-A913-52778351E626.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 102
  • FDF3B5CB-9BF5-4C5E-845F-2B18FA72D834.jpeg
    FDF3B5CB-9BF5-4C5E-845F-2B18FA72D834.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 117
That's awesome. I'm just about done getting a 22 creed ready for a buddy on a fixed income to make some money off some poor coyotes. He can't shoot anything with much recoil because of his shoulder but he has freaky eyesight and says the coyotes will just stare at you from a ways out so I put this 22 creed together and have the 90 Berger's staying inside 16" at 1000. Going to finish load work with the 88 hammers and then let him decide what kills best. Here's his grandson shooting a scoped rifle for the first time. He was scared and stabbing the trigger but was still doing pretty good. Wind and mirage definitely make for some extra challenge

Attachments

• C35F9F5E-D644-4982-B805-7B6DFD7BDB74.jpeg
    C35F9F5E-D644-4982-B805-7B6DFD7BDB74.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 95
What a great range day. We went to Delta range at Shooters Gauntlet in PA. I was pleasantly surprised with how well my equipment worked. I started out at closer targets around 200 and worked my way out to verify my data was good which it was. The 4DOF app was spot on. It's so satisfying dialing in for a particular distance and smacking the s*** out of the steel on the first round. 1070 wasn't as hard as I anticipated, granted at that distance the steel was 36"x24". I printed some decent groups on the plate but not near as good as my buddies with their custom 6XC's and Desert Tech (6XC and 338LM barrels). After a while we set out a steel milk jug target at 1070 and placed our wagers. 1st shooter made a second round impact, 2nd shooter made 1st round impact and I danced around it for 10 straight shots. I paid up and was humbled. After my barrel cooled I tried again and made a 1st round impact on my second 10 shot string attempt. Once we all got dialed in we abused that target; the desert tech even made 6 consecutive impacts. We broke for lunch then moved back to the 1485yd shooting position. This is where the 300 PRC and 338 LM shined over the 6XC rifles. I shot first, and made impact on my 3rd shot and everything came together. I was able to consecutively and consistently hit the 36x24" target, which for me was a great accomplishment. My hand loads, data collection and everything else all came together and made every penny I spent totally worth it. Needless to say I'm pumped for my next outing. I have a ton to learn but for this trip I accomplished everything I wanted to and then some. Thanks for all the feedback going into this, you guys are great. Attached are some pictures from the day including a bear we saw on our way off the mountain.
Be careful about this, you can get addicted in a hurry.

Your bank account is about to take a major hit haha. Me and a couple buddies do this up in the mountains here we shoot across canyons at rocks that puff of smoke and the thwack is addictive for sure. Looks like your hard work and prep paid off congrats and in case your wondering yes your addicted :cool:

Your bank account is about to take a major hit haha. Me and a couple buddies do this up in the mountains here we shoot across canyons at rocks that puff of smoke and the thwack is addictive for sure. Looks like your hard work and prep paid off congrats and in case your wondering yes your addicted :cool:
Long range addiction has been a long time coming. I'm also addicted to handguns, archery, and reloading. It's a wonder I have any money to my name haha. This firearms anonymous therapy isn't working, you all are awful influences.

Long range addiction has been a long time coming. I'm also addicted to handguns, archery, and reloading. It's a wonder I have any money to my name haha. This firearms anonymous therapy isn't working, you all are awful influences.
HAHA welcome I tell my kids all the time I am spending their inheritance. Chasing speed and accuracy I guess there is worse things in life to chase. Have fun and keep at it....

Look at it as Firearms are therapy. It's still costs less than per hour than a shrink, and is more enjoyable.

I'm just trying my best to learn as much as I can and buy what I can't afford when I retire. Or at least make it somewhat less expensive. I've learned a lot from this site and others like it. Long range shooting isn't cheap no matter how you slice it but dialing a rifle in quickly saves a little. I like the cameras and I try to get inside 2-3" @ 500 before I attempt long range otherwise I'm never sure if it's the wind or what. It definitely feels good when you click the data in and it works lol. I definitely have a lot of appreciation to the guys that make it look easy and grateful for them sharing they're tips through the years

I'm just trying my best to learn as much as I can and buy what I can't afford when I retire. Or at least make it somewhat less expensive. I've learned a lot from this site and others like it. Long range shooting isn't cheap no matter how you slice it but dialing a rifle in quickly saves a little. I like the cameras and I try to get inside 2-3" @ 500 before I attempt long range otherwise I'm never sure if it's the wind or what. It definitely feels good when you click the data in and it works lol. I definitely have a lot of appreciation to the guys that make it look easy and grateful for them sharing they're tips through the years
Couldn't agree more. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge with a lot of good people willing to share and help. Great to see the sense of community here, it's so rare these days in just about every other aspect of life.