First time long range!

matt_3479

Its not the long range your hoping for cause its my first time but please read

I made a post a while back regarding my most recent purchase of a Browning A-bolt chamber in a 300 wsm. Now i was having a lot of little problems like the recoil knocked the scope loose on the first shooting and the recoil knocked the recoil pad loose on the second shooting. I couldn't hit anything with it. Yesterday i went out to a 100 acre property with great shooting capabilities. I re-sighted in with factory ammo around a 1" group. Scope and recoil pad stayed on. we then put the rifles away to do some trap shooting and it was my first time and i ended up being a true killer with the shotgun with only missing 7 out of 75 shots with the first 25 shots being singles pigeons and the 2nd 25 shots being double pigeons and the 3rd 25 shots being a mixed with singles, doubles and triples. Whatever i was doing it was working well. We put the shot guns away to test my first try at semi long range shooting with targets from 50-800 yards. We set up and realized the majority of the targets fell over from the ground being soft from previous rain. The only targets left standing were the 53 yard, 100 yard, 172 yard and the 300 yard.

Now i have never shot anything past 100 yards. I am incredibly interested in long range shooting but i have no money to set one of my rifles up for it. I own 2 factory rifles (300. wsm and 7mm rem mag) that i would like to set up for it, with them currently shooting factory ammo, with terrible scopes (Tasco, and a really old Bushnell). I loaded up the 300.wsm and took the first shot at the 53 yard mark knowing it was a for sure hit. then chambered another for the 100 yard mark and nailed the target. Chambered the 3rd bullet for the 172 yard shot making this my longest shot on a target to date (i know its sad but im only 17 years old and im just starting out) and got a clean hit. Chambered another to make sure and another clean hit. i then loaded up the clip and set up for the 300 yard shot. NOTE* ( we were not shooting of a secure rest, we were standing, while resting off the clay pigeon thrower. The rocking arm on it.) I leaned against the arm and steady my breath. The target was an 8 X 5" aluminum plate. I fired off all 3 shots and nobody really heard anything due to it being a thin aluminum plate. I loaded up 2 more and fired them off with a total of 5 shots fired. We hopped on the atv and road down to it and there were 5 good hits. All the shots hit the plate with a about a 3 1/2" to 4" group. This is my first time shooting long range and it will not be my last.

The Browning A-bolt was as good of a deal as it sounded :)

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with a Browning A-Bolt; not my personal choice but it will work. Matter of fact, several years back a gentleman shooting that action set a new record for 1000 yard group shooting at Williamsport, Pa. That record didn't stand long however before it was broken and that one has also been put into the closet of 'brushed off' records!

Your best pieces of knowledge that could be gained regarding rifles/scopes/cartridges, methods, etc. for LR Shooting is to read and ask questions from others that have been in this game a long time. There are many knowledgeable folks here! What one has to do however is install a BS Filter so as to be able to weed out fact from fiction! If you can find a mentor near you that would be the thing to look for because picking ones' brain that has experience is a very good way to go!

Good luck!

Nice shooting. There is alot u can do with a factory rifle to improve it. I have a factory savage 223 that my handloads shoot under .25 center to center at 200 yards. Handloads will greatly help you out. Plus will save money over factory ammo. Next I would make sure barrel is free floated and look at having action bedded. For the scope you would benifit from a better one. Try finding a bushnell 3200 fixed 10 power. I can get them new on eBay for around $175. Then you can learn to adjust your turrets for wind and elevation. Also start to keep a log of your range sesions. Temp presure wind that kind o thing.

Hey Matt, I will add my 2 cents worth as I too have resently gotten into this long range stuff. IT'S a BLAST to hit what you aim at when it is 5,6,7 and more football fields away.
Your browning will do fine up until you decide that you need something else. The 300wsm is a real nice place to start, I am very happy with mine. As said earlier if you can get better optics do it, buy the very best that you can afford as they can be switched to the next rifle when the time comes. I have a Vortex Viper 6 x 20 x 44 and it performs very well for the 399.00 it cost me. A bedding job will probably help too and it is something that you can do yourself, just do a search and stuff should pop up.
I sighted in to point of aim at 200 yards and then back off in 100 yd. increments. Shoot and record the number of come up clicks needed to get you back on poa. Try to have similar conditions for every shot. Also record weather at the time ,temp, humidity, pressure ,wind. All this shooting and writting is getting you acquianted with your rifle and what it/you are capable of. Get a bi-pod and watch your groups tighten, I believe they sell some here in the gear store , have the caldwell on mine and so far am very happy with it.
Well it looks like my 2 cents stretched to a nickel but keep shooting and have fun..
Paul

Welcome to Long Range Hunting.

There's no limit to how far you can go. As your skill improves, so probably will your desire for custom guns, better optics, smaller groups and all sorts of things. Never boring unless you want it to be.

Good luck.

The Browning is a great rifle. Like you, I have one in 300 WSM. If you're willing to put in some time, like most of us have, your rifle will suit you well at longer range.

Tips for Brownings. Since your stock is already free floated and glass bedded as much as a Browning needs. All you really need to do is tune your trigger with $25 Timney Spring kit. Although the Brownings have adjustable triggers, IMO they don't bring the weight down enough. All of my browning's have Timney springs, and all of my Browning's shoot sub MOA with many of my handloads. My 300 WSM now wears a B&C medalist stock, but it shot great with the factory synthetic.

I have a friend with our identical rifle, except his has a BOSS. He mounted a Mark 4 on top and made a 760 yard shot (on film) on a good mule deer with factory loaded Silvertips.

One of the major drawbacks that people claim is that there aren't enough aftermarket parts available for Browning's for precision modifications. However, if you do some poking around you will find that there are quite a few guys that have made the Browning action work for precision shooting. Also, there are some reputable barrel makers that thread for the Brownings if you happen to shoot your barrel out. Pac-nor is one that can think of right off hand. One note for barrel longevity is keeping it from getting hot. Limit your shot strings to 2 or 3 shots and let cool. This will help keep your barrel shooting well for many years.

For long range there are a few components you'll want. Get an EGW 20 MOA base, and some stout rings. The 20 MOA base will come in handy to increase the amount of elevation you can get out of your scope.

As for rings, I use Warne Quick detach because they are affordable and they will hold your scope. My scope slipped in a couple different setups using Leupold Dual Dovetails, and Burris Extreme tacticals despite lapping and tightening down more than I felt comfortable tightening rings.

So go get yourself a Timney 2 lb spring, a good scope, and some stout scope mounts and fire away.

Last edited:
Hey,

I am 16 myself. so im sure we have many of the same financial problems. A lot of good advice has been given. good optics are a must. While it hurts me to spend hundreds on optics it is really important. A bushnell 10X fixed power isnt a bad scope. I am upgrading all my scopes (selling currents) and putting on Sightron SIIIs.

If you dont mind me asking, where are you located? if you click on your username in the top right of the browser you can set your location. Helps meet local guys who may be more experienced and willing to help you out. I met a bunch of guys on here who i now shoot with pretty regularily.

Oliver

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.