First time reloader

Mcarso1

wanting to get my own reloading equipment , what is a good beginner brand and model to start out with? Want something I can build onto without having to buy new again later on. Thanks

Open ended question, but I will take a jab at it.
My first press is a Rock chucker. I still use it a lot. I also have a junior I use for range work just because it is a bit lighter to tote.
I prefer a good balance beam scale myself, RCBS has pretty good reviews.
Buy once cry once.
If you go progressive, I suggest setting one die up at a time. Then go at it one round at a time. It will allow you to understand what all is going on at each point.
FYI, you can buy as good as you can load anymore. It will allow you to shoot more a bit cheaper.
Step back and look at how many rounds you shoot a year, honest numbers. Then price everything out and see how much ammo you can buy for the intital investment. Honest savings on shooting 500-1000 rounds a year will take you a while to overcome the intital investment.
I mention this because I have two younger friends that wanted to reload. They have all the basics for a single stage. Yet they shoot mostly store bought ammo. One bought a Dillon square deal and hardly uses it, yet now he thinks he wants a 650? I have five progressives, two are for pistol cartridges large and small primer. The other three one is set for large primer one for small. The third I use as an automatic turret press for case prep. Yet I find myself at the single stage a majority of the time.
Reloading is an excuse to buy more guns because you can shoot cheaper better ammo;-).
Jeff

There are no beginner brands just cheaper brands.
I have been using a RCBS 4X4 progressive press for years although I only used it as a single stage press. I am going to get rid of it to get a Redding T7. If I had started with the Redding years ago I would not be needing to spend more money now and I would not need to reset all my dies.
I would suggest you get a single stage press. It is a little slower than a progressive but you will generally get more accurate loads and there is less of a chance to make mistakes.

IMO for a new reloader go with top quality single stage. RCBS rockchucker or the Coax. Progressives offer too **** many chances to screw up when you are starting out and those can lead to "significant emotional events" (normally a change of underwear is involved)!!

At this stage you are trying to learn basic techniques, what and how.

You can always add a progressive later when you become more experienced.

My first was a RCBS partner off of Craigslist. I got it and a bunch of stuff for $90. My second press was a Dillon. With me it was a matter of making sure I wanted to continue to do this before I invested a lot/boatload of money.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.