First focal plane rifle scope questions.

stoti

Hello,
I'm new to precision long range shooting and am just about to receive my first long range gun. I'm not a newbie to shooting or guns, I've been doing it my whole life. I am new to shooting at long distance however(past 600yds) and have always owned second focal plane scopes. I've been researching FFP scopes for a while and actually bought a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50FFF EBR-2c. I bought the Viper PST because I got it for $800+tax(new, $150 discount) with a bunch of gift cards I had for Bass Pro Shops. I couldn't get the discount on the Burris because it's not discontinued.

I can't stop thinking about the other scopes I was considering Viper PST Ver.2 for $1100, the Burris XTR2 for $1100 and the Nightforce SHV F1 for $1250. I'm really considering selling the Vortex for $850 and getting one of the other scopes before I mount it and have to sell it as used. I'm actually on a waiting list for the 5-25x50 PST Ver.2 coming out at the beginning of March and being sold for $1100. I'm not someone that always has to have the latest and greatest but instead would rather buy once, cry once and be happy with my purchase. In this instance however, things are a little different because I purchased with gift cards and got such a great deal. That was a huge limiting factor when making this purchase, without $700 in gift cards I wouldn't have been able to make the purchase until early summer. I could sell the PST for $850 and for $250-$300 more buy one of the scopes I really want. Besides that, the value of the PST is going to go down the pooper when the PST Ver.2 comes out, so I'll lose all the equity I got by buying it so cheap.

So here is my question, finally... when does the point of diminishing returns outweigh the benefits you'll be getting with a more expensive scope? Are any of these scopes standouts above the others? Would any of you be thinking the same way I am or would you just keep the PST? I've heard the optics in the new Viper PST2 will be upgraded and will be the same or very similar to the original Razor, the turrets are better and the battery housing has been moved to the side focus knob. It's also got a bit better top end magnification, albeit not much. That along with the fact that I'd rather have the new version over the discontinued version is enough for me to make the switch. I've also heard the Burris XTRII is a great scope but don't find nearly as many reviews or opinions about it and those opinions that are posted are mixed. I have been told it's way better than the XTR Ver.1 but if that's the case, why aren't more people using it and raving about it? I've also heard that although Burris includes a lifetime warranty, their warranty and customer service depts. are a bit lacking in service, exactly opposite of Vortex and Nightforce! I do like the 34mm tube, adjustment range, tube thickness, supposedly great tracking and great durability of the Burris too. I've been told the optics are a tad better than the PST at high resolution but versus the PSTII might be a different story? So that leads me to the Nightforce, I can't afford the ATACR, NXS or Beast, so I've looked at the SHV F1, the only first focal plane scope I can afford that has the features I desire. To be honest, I've always really loved the Nightforce scopes I've had a chance to use, they're my favorite FFP scope out there but I can't afford any of them, even used. The SHV F1 is a different scope entirely, built for the masses and I can't get over the fact that it is the bottom of the line scope in the Nightforce lineup. I'm sure it's great but I think I get more for my money with the Burris or Viper PST2 and if I have a warranty issue I know I can count on Vortex and Nightforce. I'm really not even considering this scope as much as the Burris or the PSTII but I thought I'd ask your opinions anyway.

So, with all of that being said, about as long winded as I could possibly be, what would you do under these circumstances ? What do you guys know about the Vortex Viper PST2 5-25x50 and the Burris XTRII 5-20x50?

Although probably not all that necessary, except that I'm excited about it and want to share, here are the specifications on my gun and accessories: Remington 700 left hand, long action w/ detachable magazine kit, bedded and floated, the action has had some machine work done; lugs lapped, bolt fluted, handle skeletonized and the front of the receiver trued. Stainless 26" barrel, chambered in 6.5x284 with a 1 in 8 twist, Sendero contour w/custom brake, Bell and Carlson Alaska II stock, w/front picatinny rail for Atlas bipod, Leupold Mk4 steel, 1 piece 20moa rail, Seekins 30mm med/high rings, Holland anti cant level, Timney 518 trigger, Tubbs speed-lock lightweight firing pin and spring, and a hexagonal bolt shroud. The action, bolt handle, base, rings and bottom metal have been cerakoted tactical gray with a 17:1 ration to give it a tad bit more satin finish. The scope and anti cant device stay black. The barrel is stainless. The stock is dark green with black splatter although I'm thinking of making a cheek riser(wood, aluminum or acrylic) for perfect eye alignment and covering it with bondo or bedding compound, sanding it to get perfect lines and painting it a beige/gray/sage camo pattern that looks really cool. Its similar to GAP camo but different colors that will look better with the tactical gray cerakote. I figure I've gone this far, why not make it exactly the way I envisioned it! I'll add pictures when I get my gun back from the gunsmith, mount the scope and finish the stock. I'm hoping 2-3 weeks.

Although I really babbled on for a long time, I hope some of you respond to my questions about the Vortex PST1, PST2 and the Burris XTR2. I know I wrote way too much for most of you to read, but I got on a roll and couldn't stop. The reason I started this post was to ask about diminishing returns in the scope market and any experiences some of you have had with these scopes and what you would do.

Thank you in advance for any advice, recommendations or thoughts you have on these scopes or my dilemma. Kevin Stoughton (Stoti)

I don't think you will be happy unless you get one of the newer models. And being happy is a big deal.:)

I would return the regular PST to Cabelas or sell for $850 (if you really can). Then wait to see what the new version is like. There will probably have even better discounts for the old PST after the new ones actually hit the shelves. I would look at CamerLandNY after the new ones are out and see what they might be selling the old PST for. Personally, I'm happy with my original PST and won't be looking to trade up. But if I were just getting in the market for one, I'd probably get the newer model.

I think you are clinically infected with scopitis.

I was going to say insane but I thought that was harsh.

Personally I have shot stuff a long ways away with a lot less scope than any of the above.

I would also include the SIII, Veracity and others in the hunt.

With your personality I would guess you overthink things a lot. Any of the scopes you mentioned will be close enough to the same that the EYE of the user will determine which is better MORE than the actual product. Zero stops, illumination, click feel etc.........don't really make a bit of difference FOR ME.

Some guys say a scope is flat out unusable because of some small issue....I can take the same scope and hit 90% over 1k all day long.
Some people overthink stuff too much, what would we do when the Shepherd scope was the top of the line LR scope and SMKs were the only bullets available and a laser was something you saw on Star Wars?

I don't think you will be happy unless you get one of the newer models. And being happy is a big deal.:).......

It's kind of like fishing lures being designed to catch fisherman not fish.

Im privileged enough own some better quality optics, and while I can honestly say I've made some shots with them I don't think I could have made with the scopes they replaced, overall they didn't make me a better shooter.

The practical view is if your equipment is holding you back, its time to upgrade.

The scopes you mentioned are all in the same class-I'd advise waiting until I could afford the next level of scopes, but it's not always about being practical, nor should it be.

Yeah, I get that and I'd agree with the scopitis...maybe even the insane part too. I do tend to overthink things, especially if I'm spending $1100 of my hard earned money. But, that's why I'm here asking the question. Like I said, I don't need the latest and greatest and I don't upgrade often but when I do have the money to make a purchase like this, I want to get all I can for the money. I wanted to know if buying the Burris or the Viper PST2 is a good decision in the long run. Not only in terms of the quality of the scope but also for the value of the scope if I want to upgrade to a top tier model in a few years. Am I going to get more money for the Viper version 1 or 2? Obviously the version 2. Is the $300 I spend now for the version 2 going to be worth it for the newer, upgraded features? That I can't answer. Will the newer version make me more happy? Probably, since I don't buy these kind of frivolous purchases that often and I really hate buying a brand new product and finding out a few months later that it's been replaced, lowering the value of my purchase. In this instance I can keep that from happening! That's why I'm overthinking it...I want to buy the best scope that will make me the happiest without wanting something better in a couple of months. Thank you, although your post didn't contain much relevant information, other than analyzing my personality, which was pretty dead nuts on, it did help me make my decision. Thanks again. Stoti

I trade scopes more than underwear. I buy a used NF or other high end and sell it after hunting season. I look at scopes like you are renting them. A used NXS SFP will come within a gnats *** of the same price as the ones you are looking at. I have hit more stuff with a NF NP-R1 or 2 than I can count. A lot of what you are paying for with the stuff you listed is zero stops and stuff you don't really need.
I have never lost much on a used NF. When the next model comes out and the $$$ jumps another $500 sell the old one and buy one from someone who wants the NEW COOL ONE.
How I do it anyway.

Sounds Like a plan! So, ToddC... You know what I'm looking for, if you had $1150 to spend, and absolutely no more than $1300. What would you buy and why? Thanks. Stoti

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/nightforce-nxs-181357/

This is a gen newer than I was thinking. A 1st gen NF NXS with the NP-R1 or 2 will kill anything on the planet, is bulletproof and if it breaks its warranteed.
You should be able to pick up a 1st gen NF or Razor for $1300 or less.
I have bought off of ebay, SWFA has trade ins, and classifieds on here.
This way you wont lose any $$$, may not get zero stop or a Christmas tree but you do get great glass, warranty and everything you NEED to hit stuff a long ways away.

Don't need a zero stop or Christmas tree. I looked for the Razor gen. 1 and haven't been able to find one under $1400, usually closer to $1500. I never even looked at the NXS because I thought it was way out of my price range. As you saw from my post, I love every Nightforce I've ever used, I just thought they were out of my range. Thanks. Stoti

Don't need a zero stop or Christmas tree. I looked for the Razor gen. 1 and haven't been able to find one under $1400, usually closer to $1500. I never even looked at the NXS because I thought it was way out of my price range. As you saw from my post, I love every Nightforce I've ever used, I just thought they were out of my range. Thanks. Stoti

The 1st gen non ZS NF 2FP are out there if you look.

I have looked at the Athlon but was kind of steered away. I was told they were good for the money but I would be better off with the Viper PST or XTR2. Whether that's true or not I don't know. I haven't looked at the Sightron. Stoti

I have looked at the Athlon but was kind of steered away. I was told they were good for the money but I would be better off with the Viper PST or XTR2. Whether that's true or not I don't know. I haven't looked at the Sightron. Stoti

Sightron is top shelf glass. The SIII

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.