first or second focal plane

hydehunter

for long range shooting what do you prefer: first or second focal plane and why.for the last 25 years I have used Leupold 6.5x20 VX3 scopes and did not know what a focal plane was and was told they have been all second focal,all these years I have been dumb and happy with what I have but now looking at a new scope 8.5x25 I was asked what do I want first or second,I will be getting the TMOA style. thanks

For me personally, anything over 14-15 power needs to be FFP. Having to always be at 20x or 24x to use the reticle properly is not effective for me, especially if I'm trying to follow an animal at say 500 yards, waiting for them to stop. Even for very experienced hunters, trying to reacquire game with too much magnification is very difficult.

While my(PRS/Tactical)competition rifles are all fitted with FFP scopes in the 5x25 power range, having used both, I very much prefer an SFP in a similar power range for hunting(usually 5x20). Given the high % of my shots are at dusk, dawn, or in the shadows, the reticle of an FFP quickly becomes cluttered/useless at the lower power settings.....lighted or unlighted. My scopes are set up with a power ring lever that can very quickly and accurately be indexed between calibrated(high power), half, and lowest power settings which is more then sufficient for keeping game in my scope picture while still being able to effectively use the reticle calibration by using simple math...if needed. I'd much rather put the $$$$ into better a better scope/glass then the higher cost of the FFP feature. IMO.

If you don't have specific intention to both range and hold-off using a reticle, go SFP.
With this, you laser range and dial elevation as called for with a drop/click card. Hold off (in inches) into wind. For highest resolution in this, go IPHY, or MOA (at worst).
You don't need a fancy reticle with SFP. In fact, you don't need stadia at all, just an aim point (like a dot reticle).
But it's my contention that the best aim point ever invented is the simple med-fine cross-hair. Used to be offered by NF, and Premier Reticles for Mk4s.
Apparently, this isn't Hollywood enough these days, and is not offered by any maker now..

Like Greyfox, my match rifles are equipped with ffp scope. All my hunting rifles but one have sfp scopes on them. The one that has a ffp scope is a ATACR- 4-16x42 and it pretty much stays on full power for mid range deer/antelope. I think the advantage of sfp on a hunting rifle is so you can turn power down for the inside of 200 yard shot and still pick up the reticle. In these cases, use of the reticle for wind holds are for most part not needed. One just needs to hold a little left or right depending on the wind direction and you will hit that deer or elk.
In summary, if you needing a scope for casual range use or hunting sfp will suit your needs in my opinion.

Id be careful going too high power for 'long range' hunting. Once you go over the mid range mags to ie 8-25 you lose alot and gain little unless you spend huge bucks on a huge scope. And then you need to look at elevation adjustment range if you plan on dialing. We all have our fav hunting scopes and arguments for them. Personally I love the swaro x5(I) 3.5x18 as has all around capability. Has a great power range with lots of elevation adjustment. Swaro also makes same scope in 5x25 and no way would I take it over the 3.5x18.

Swaro also makes same scope in 5x25 and no way would I take it over the 3.5x18.

I had the Swarovski 5-25X. On a hunt in an area that required three points or more I found a couple bucks while using 8X binoculars. I put the scope on them and turned up the magnification until I could positively identify one as having three points. After I shot it I checked the magnification setting: 25X. If I didn't have enough glass I would not have been successful.

There is a house across the valley from me that is 1.54 miles away according to google earth. At 18x on a cool clear day with no mirage I can easily id a beer can left sitting on the verandah rail. I can also place and hold my x-hairs in the middle of the rim on a 14in tire on a fishing boat by the house. So 18x is good for me as is the 3.5x when going thru short range terrain. No doubt there are times when higher mag comes in handy but its not that often for me to justify having it on my rifle so I pack a med size spotting scope.

There is a house across the valley from me that is 1.54 miles away according to google earth. At 18x on a cool clear day with no mirage I can easily id a beer can left sitting on the verandah rail. I can also place and hold my x-hairs in the middle of the rim on a 14in tire on a fishing boat by the house. So 18x is good for me as is the 3.5x when going thru short range terrain. No doubt there are times when higher mag comes in handy but its not that often for me to justify having it on my rifle so I pack a med size spotting scope.

Perhaps you have vision about like a friend of mine. Without exaggerating I can tell you in 2002 when we went to Alaska he could see as well without binoculars as I could with 7X Nikons. He said, "Caribou," and indicated where to look. I looked at dots we both agreed were about two miles away, like a period on a page, moving. He took the binos from he. Instantly when he looked through them he exclaimed, "Look at the horns on that one!" Four hours later he killed that big one.

I am 73 now and he is only the second person I have met who can see like that.

my stepdad was like that....1/2 Cherokee professional hunter and 'mountain man'...spent his whole life outdoors looking for critters...he would see mule deer bedded down so far away with naked eyes that he would amaze me and my 20 year old 20/15 eyes. of course he wasnt always spotting the deer but saw something that didnt fit the natural landscape. he also knew where to look and where to not waste his time looking. anymore I cant see squat unless its enhanced with top quality optics!

Perhaps you have vision about like a friend of mine. Without exaggerating I can tell you in 2002 when we went to Alaska he could see as well without binoculars as I could with 7X Nikons. He said, "Caribou," and indicated where to look. I looked at dots we both agreed were about two miles away, like a period on a page, moving. He took the binos from he. Instantly when he looked through them he exclaimed, "Look at the horns on that one!" Four hours later he killed that big one.

I am 73 now and he is only the second person I have met who can see like that.

I have a buddy like that, crazy good eyes, but Tesoro said, picking out game in brush is a learned skill. I've spotted deer in trees before he has...but I envy the good eyesight

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.