First or second focal plane?

I rarely use my reticle for ranging. If I do it's because the conditions are such that my rangefinder isn't giving me a reliable number. If that's the case I'll limit my shots to less than 500 yards because that's the limit for what I think I can compute a range within 25 yards, since you have to make some assumptions about the size of whatever your are ranging.

That being said, I use the reticle for holdovers and wind all the time. Where the big advantage to me in that regard is that I set my magnification where I think I have the optimum FOV/target/aiming conditions and then go for it. Personally I find this very useful.

The reticle I have in my Steiners is called the SCR. The reticle is such that when it illuminates at low power it almost looks like a duplex, and high power it looks, well, just like the reticle. So, when zoomed out with the reticle on I don't feel disadvantaged whatsoever. But that's just me. Now while an H59 reticle is extremely useful and fast, if that whole thing lit up on low power I'd think it'd be useless.

NEMThunter makes some really good points and if your considering SFP then take them to heart. The Nightforce reticle is hard to beat in that regard, because it is a useful reticle.

Gusd, that only works if you don't touch the magnification setting between shots. If you adjust it at all for any reason and don't come back to the exact same setting the adjustment won't be correct.

I personally will probably never go back to SFP for the reasons stated above and FFP works well for me for both hunting and practice. But like NEMThunter said, get the one that works for you because that is all that matters.

I only use sfp. A friend has a couple of each and he can really get screwed up when in a fast hunting situation remembering what he is using.

Scope choice is an argument waiting at any and all times. I had a glass education when having the chance to use a .260AI custom built with a S&B 5-25x56 PMll. On 6x at 1k+ gave deer sized kill hits. I decided I needed to move up in quality. With my sight I need AO or SF, exception being Burris 3-9x40 E1 Fullfield. My game is for Venison, most on the planet are taken within 200, most of that within 150. Do I need even 12x, not really, and hunting Sambar you go to minimum 2x if you have it. I had a choice of three. Zeiss Conquest HD5, NO, too much colour flair in slight movement, ASSEMBLED in Germany. Nightforce HSV, choice of MOAR reticle, way too fine for hunting, didn`t leave the shop, NO. Nightforce IHR reticle, a bit better, but as the light fell (sunset +30min) yes giving light but the reticle was gone leaving three short, too short bars at the sides and bottom and nothing at the top or in between. If Nightforce say they had these hunter tested they are lying, yes lying ! Burris Veracity, the reticle has four arms or legs to it, in a fine wedge form. It works well, it was the only FFP of the three and I think only works very well because of the tapering arms. For a hunting scope FFP is not good, the fine lines of the duplex reticle will be too fine and fade out. On the reticle subject, this German 4, or 7 type pattern, what`s going on ? I frequently lose the bottom and one side arm, without the top You`re lost

My experience with illuminatined reticle is this. The brightness adjustment must be externally located on the scope. And offer very low light adjustment whereas the reticle doesn't blind you in near dark conditions. I wouldn't be without one after getting accustomed to them in SFP . Next, a red dot aiming point is perfect for almost any game I shoot. There is no busy-ness going on with the view. Thirdly, if you install a custom ballistic turret for elevation and windage you don't need anything else. I have tried many other arrangements and after nine years and a half dozen scopes later this is what works for me and it is simple. The ballistic range finder is paired to the scope and ammunition load that I'm shooting. It will give me the actual dial to distance for a shot. I haven't killed beyond 750 yards yet. But gradually inching my way toward a 1000 yard kill sometime. It's been a lot of fun and very educational to learn, experience and eventually know what I desire with my shooting set up. I'm not proclaiming to have it all figured out, but this works flawless for me. I will close with saying , if I were depending on the reticle for hold over and windage I would certainly want a FFP scope to illuminate the need to adjust to maximum magnification for correct readings.

I was thinking of a scope for shooting 300-500 yds. I've only got scopes with reticles in the second focal plane. What would be the advantage of the first focal plane?

FFP since you can use the reticle hash marks at any power and not have to touch your turrets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.