First Elk, First Time Using 210 VLD

stx

E4B502A6-69B6-4380-8DE7-90C3C765B986.jpeg
5A8EC110-CA80-4331-9F34-613364D405C7.jpeg
After several Great Elk Hunts over the years, never harvesting a bull, last week I finally harvested my first bull with my "Old Faithful" 300 Wby Mag and 210 VLDs. Bullet performed perfectly at 2890 FPS at 370 yards in custom Kleinguenther built rifle with 24" bbl with Vortex Razor 3-15x42 LH HD. Not a long range rig as most of you here use but served well to harvest my first bull.

What a brute, congratulations!!!!!! Details on bullet performance, please?

Bullet went in behind shoulder and took both lungs out. It was dark by the time we got him caped and didn't find bullet or exit hole in hide but there were lungs blown out between the carcass and off-side hide. Quartered him without opening him up so did not see inside damage but it was pretty much destroyed from all the blood, etc that ran out big exit hole in rib cage behind off-side shoulder. He went Nowhere! I was Extremely Pleased with bullet performance!

Congrats on a nice bull and the clean harvest. That's what we all look for. I appreciate you sharing the 210 VLD performance. They shoot great out of my 300WM, and I have quite a number of them loaded, but I haven't yet escaped the nagging question in the back of my mind regarding its toughness if I encountered heavier bones or needed to shoot an animal at a steeper quartering angle. I'm not sure why I can't escape that nagging; I had a very clean kill with a 185 Hunting VLD on a broadside 5x6 bull in NM last year, so I'd only expect better with the 210. Thanks for sharing and congrats again.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.