First time WY elk hunter

Awesome bull! You did great with a good plan and execution. I do believe luck was a good part of your success as well. 18% success rate in Colorado is what they claim. out of 19 elk, I have never taken a fine one like yours on public land.
congratulations!

Awesome bull! You did great with a good plan and execution. I do believe luck was a good part of your success as well. 18% success rate in Colorado is what they claim. out of 19 elk, I have never taken a fine one like yours on public land.
congratulations!
Yep, I got extremely lucky. Every day I went out, I saw scat and tracks, so I think my focal points were good selections, but I could have easily gone the whole season without chancing into the right encounter.

General tag success rate in my unit is 25.9% according to Fish & Game. I do think that statistic is a bit misleading. I was pretty astounded by the number of hunters in the unit who seemed to glass exclusively from their UTVs on the road and never do any walking.

That strategy makes sense to me if you're an old guy or disabled, but the most promising places I found were all areas where no UTV could go (or horse would go willingly). I tried to stack the odds in my favor with terrain selection since the only competitive advantages I had were being willing to bushwhack and shooting pretty competently.