First time elk hunt

6mm06guy

My grandfather and I are heading to Colorado, does anyone know what units I can buy otc tags? We were looking at a drop camp in unit 74. If there are better units I'm open to them, but my grandfather will limit this hunt some. The goal is to get him an elk ,while I help and do most of everything. We have never hunted elk so any help would be a great help. Thanks guys.

Both of you need to get in the best shape you could possibly be in. The altitude change will really have a effect on you. Finding elk is not like looking for whitetail. Most of the time, if you find elk tracks, it means they were there but they are now gone. I always think of hunting elk, as if I were looking for lost cows. If I see sign I look at a topo map and try to guess where they might be. It's a very addicting experience, even if you don't get anything. I used to go out there every year and I'm trying to get things back to where I can do that again.

As Bbear stated, 74 is one of the OTC units, along with 70, 71, 741, and 75 that are in the area. There are quite a few more, but you inquired about 74.

I did some calling around and we believe we're now going to another unit , well have 18000 acres all to our selves. Well also be staying in a cabin. It's not Ruffin it, but I believe my grandfather will be better off. The nice gentleman letting us hut his property also has an atv we can use. I don't know if I'll kill one, but it should be a fun time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.