First time OTC elk hunt help.

dakotakidd

Looking for some direction where to start for a over the counter elk hunt. Brother, brother in law, good buddy and myself would love to do a diy otc elk hunt. Open to Wyoming, Colorado maybe Montana or even Idaho? We're from South Dakota so the drive isn't terrible. I just don't know where to start. State, unit, how to go about getting tags, when to go? Pm me if you can help in any way.
Thanks.

I suggest you look each state's OTC options, along with hunter success data. Some states have hunt planners that can help you pick a unit, I know Colorado does. They can really help you in with the pros and cons of each unit. Once you decide, you can use GoogleEarth to get a real idea of the terrain. Most units are national forest and the local Forest Service offices have good maps of roads & terrain for free.

The only drawback to OTC is the number of hunters & 4-wheelers in your area. The farther you get away from the roads, the better your odds. Tough odds because 1st rifle hunts on most units are draw tags, OTC are usually 2nd & 3rd rifle seasons.

Your odds improve with snow and cold temperatures. The more snow, the fewer hunters and the elk are feeding longer hours. Try to avoid full moon situations. My last 2 bulls have come on OTC tags, so anyone can score, if I can. Good Luck to you.

I hunt Idaho as a non resident and have since 1983. There are elk, but also wolves and other hunters. Do some home work and plan according, and be in shape. Remember once you get an elk on the ground the work begins. In my years of hunting elk, I can only remember one or two easy pack jobs.

I live in CO. Lots of OTC choices so we are so overrun during the OTC seasons with people and ATVs that I won't hunt OTC anymore. You can still kill on OTC tags but you will have to hike in 7- 12 miles then hope no one else has the same idea. One bad hunter doing dumb things like bumping elk out of their beds will ruin a area for the rest of the season.

Although the situation exists, don't be dismayed by the reports of overcrowding. Most hunters don't want to hike in and most don't know that elk are there, they just hole up in thick beds. Use that to your advantage. We enjoyed a successful public land hunt this year in NW CO, by keeping an eye on a specific drainage with beds at top and bottom. In any case, you'll definitely need to scout any area where you plan to hunt.

That's or biggest problem. All four of us have jobs that are terribly busy all summer. We would probably be going into an area not knowing much about it besides what we can find online. We're young, in fairly good shape, have good gear and aren't afraid to hike to find elk. Just looking for a good place to find elk..

Last edited:
I understand but I cannot see elk hunting an area that I did not know, to some extent. I think many would agree.

I agree. Scouting would make a huge difference. And that's one reason I'm leaning towards cow/calf hunting in Wyoming. Hunt cows and build points while finding places to hunt bulls.

I have done a couple otc hunts in Colorado, and I've tagged along on otc hunts in Idaho.

First time I was hunting Colorado I was sitting on a trail looking at 4 bulls in my spotter across the drainage. A couple guys come by on horse back and ask what I'm looking at. Here is how the convo went.
Me "A couple bulls. I think I'm going to grab my friends and we are going to go kill the 6 point."
Them "You are nuts to shoot a bull over there! We only kill elk above the trail."

Needless to say in 7 days we saw 46 bulls and all 4 of us tagged out. I saw other hunters everyday but not one of them got an elk.

I've hunted that area 3 times now otc and killed 3 bulls.

The first time my buddy went to Idaho he killed a bull right at the trailhead opening morning. I went to help a couple years later and it was a little different. There were a couple guys that had been laid off for a few weeks riding the trails elk scouting and wolf hunting. They said they would howl and bugle but hadn't had any luck. All the elk tracks we saw by the trails were a week or two old.

But low and behold a hard to get to basin just beyond the one by the trail head had a 7 point bull in it that my brother killed.

My brother went to the same place this year and they killed another bull by the trailhead, and one about 3 miles in.

All this is to say if you don't have time to pre scout don't worry about it. Just make sure when you are hunting you hunt hard the entire hunt. Find areas that have difficult access.

I would apply for a Wyoming general tag since Wyoming is so close. If you don't draw you could also apply for Montana. If no luck there either then go hunt Colorado or Idaho. You could also apply for Idaho, or a 0 point unit in Colorado. You can draw a lot of the 1st and 4th season elk hunts in Colorado with 0-1 points. Some are even either sex tags I believe.

I have done a couple otc hunts in Colorado, and I've tagged along on otc hunts in Idaho.

First time I was hunting Colorado I was sitting on a trail looking at 4 bulls in my spotter across the drainage. A couple guys come by on horse back and ask what I'm looking at. Here is how the convo went.
Me "A couple bulls. I think I'm going to grab my friends and we are going to go kill the 6 point."
Them "You are nuts to shoot a bull over there! We only kill elk above the trail."

Needless to say in 7 days we saw 46 bulls and all 4 of us tagged out. I saw other hunters everyday but not one of them got an elk.

I've hunted that area 3 times now otc and killed 3 bulls.

The first time my buddy went to Idaho he killed a bull right at the trailhead opening morning. I went to help a couple years later and it was a little different. There were a couple guys that had been laid off for a few weeks riding the trails elk scouting and wolf hunting. They said they would howl and bugle but hadn't had any luck. All the elk tracks we saw by the trails were a week or two old.

But low and behold a hard to get to basin just beyond the one by the trail head had a 7 point bull in it that my brother killed.

My brother went to the same place this year and they killed another bull by the trailhead, and one about 3 miles in.

All this is to say if you don't have time to pre scout don't worry about it. Just make sure when you are hunting you hunt hard the entire hunt. Find areas that have difficult access.

I would apply for a Wyoming general tag since Wyoming is so close. If you don't draw you could also apply for Montana. If no luck there either then go hunt Colorado or Idaho. You could also apply for Idaho, or a 0 point unit in Colorado. You can draw a lot of the 1st and 4th season elk hunts in Colorado with 0-1 points. Some are even either sex tags I believe.
Man I'd love to hunt with you. You saw more bull elk in that one hunt than have seen in the last 12 years archery and rifle combined. And I cover a lot of ground. Let me know if you ever need a hunting buddy :)

Man I'd love to hunt with you. You saw more bull elk in that one hunt than have seen in the last 12 years archery and rifle combined. And I cover a lot of ground. Let me know if you ever need a hunting buddy :)

Sometimes I type to much. Rereading it it definitely comes across as bragging.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts