First time elk rifle hunter (Oregon)

Joshlee9986

We take a yearly trip to Oregon to bow hunt but I've never elk hunted with a rifle before. The season date for the tag I drew is October 28-November 1st. I drew a controlled hunt tag for the Desolation unit which is where we go each year for Archery season. For you eastern Oregon guys that don't mind giving some advice to a newbie when it comes to rifle hunting elk, I have a couple questions.

1. Do most of you guys set up and glass for them and then move in for a closer shot when found?

2.what kind of weather can I expect for that time of year? I live in the Deep South so we don't have much of a winter.

Any other advice that y'all want to throw my way I would gladly accept. Thank y'all so much for your knowledge and time. I always enjoy reading yalls post.

1. Yes, that time of the season glassing and stalking is the strategy I use.
2. It can potentially become bitterly cold that time of year in that area; e.g., well below freezing. But not always. Last year was quite mild with nights down to around freezing and days in the 40s/50s. You should keep your eye on forecasts as the hunt approaches and plan accordingly.

Would y'all suggest getting up on the higher slopes and glassing across on the northern slopes? Or do they move down that time of year?

Or do they move down that time of year?

It's completely weather dependent, but odds are good they will not yet be in winter grounds (lower) at the time of your hunt. What will be a greater influence will be pressure. There are other hunts before yours and that can get the elk moving into deep cover or lower to private ground. When seeking out vantages to glass, I would keep pressure in mind and get away from it as much as possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.