Firing pin spring on Rm 700

cornchuck

I have a Remington 700P that I bought new about 5 years ago. When I started to shoot it, I noticed that when I cycle the bolt, it was harder than any of my other 700's. But when I take the firing pin out to get my head space set for my sizing dies, there is no resistance. The bolt cycles really easy.

Do I have a strong spring or is there something else going on.

It's kind hard to figure out if I'm getting over pressures when I try new loads.

Jason

Does your 700 have the "J" Lock? I've seen plenty of those where the spring looks like a wadded up snake on the firing pin. Drags the inside of the bolt when installed making for a 'hard' lift.

cornchuck,

I have a Remington 700P that I bought new about 5 years ago.
And after 5 years, you're concerned about the bolt lift being difficult or has it gotten worse?

In all cases, when you remove the firing pin assembly, there is no resistance because everything that could offer resistance is out of the bolt, if you removed the plunger ejector also. The only thing to create a problem is galled lugs.

Now, the FP spring is generally the culprit because Remington exercises little control over the assembly parts. The springs can be a wide range of tension, sometimes creating difficult bolt lift. If the spring is longer or stretched somewhat, it can get 'wadded up' creating resistance on the inside of the bolt. A proper replacement spring will solve this.

Here is another culprit to examine:

R700_cocking_piece.jpg

The radius on the left end of the cocking piece can be just a tad longer than required so the fix is to polish that radius then check by assembling onto the FP, into the bolt and testing in the receiver. If you lack the confidence to do this correctly, take it to your local gunsmith and have him do it.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.