Firing Pin Spring Pressure

Edd

What is the ideal spring pressure, measured in the cocked position, for an .062" firing pin on Remington Model 7 .

What is the ideal spring pressure, measured in the cocked position, for an .062" firing pin on Remington Model 7 .
That's a good question. I would think firing pin spring tension would be the same on nearly every bolt action rifle. The primers are relatively soft and don't take that much to detonate. One fellow that can answer that question would be: JE CUSTOM.
I would also like to know he answer to that.

That's a good question. I would think firing pin spring tension would be the same on nearly every bolt action rifle. The primers are relatively soft and don't take that much to detonate. One fellow that can answer that question would be: JE CUSTOM.

Thanks.o_O
All i can tell you is what I was taught, that it should be for all length bolts/actions.
The minimum firing spring pressure "cocked" should be 28 Pounds to effect a good ignition and 30 pounds for a max I have seen them a bit higher to improve lock time but they are notorious for piercing primer cups on many types of primers.

If you spring tension is light, you can add a washer to the firing pin spring and increase it, but don't add to much or you will get spring bind and then it will not work correctly.

That's all I know about it

J E CUSTOM

[QUOTE="RYEWSKY25284, post: 1791564, member: 7658 "One fellow that can answer that question would be: JE CUSTOM.
I would also like to know he answer to that.[/QUOTE]

Nothing like being thrown undercthe bus...eh JE....
I have had to replace springs in two rifles...7rum Remington and 260rem ruger..which was not hitting the primer hard enuf to ignite.....both factory springs...and boy were they ugly...kinked so bad they scratching on the pins....got new heavier ones from midway and both rifles back to shooting....just another piece of equipment you have to keep watch on......

Thanks.o_O
All i can tell you is what I was taught, that it should be for all length bolts/actions.
The minimum firing spring pressure "cocked" should be 28 Pounds to effect a good ignition and 30 pounds for a max I have seen them a bit higher to improve lock time but they are notorious for piercing primer cups on many types of primers.

If you spring tension is light, you can add a washer to the firing pin spring and increase it, but don't add to much or you will get spring bind and then it will not work correctly.

That's all I know about it

J E CUSTOM
I knew I could count on you for a good answer. I've been learning a lot here from you.

Many Thanks.
P.S. wasn't trying to throw you under the buss. Just knew you'd know.

[QUOTE="RYEWSKY25284, post: 1791564, member: 7658 "One fellow that can answer that question would be: JE CUSTOM.

Nothing like being thrown undercthe bus...eh JE....
I have had to replace springs in two rifles...7rum Remington and 260rem ruger..which was not hitting the primer hard enuf to ignite.....both factory springs...and boy were they ugly...kinked so bad they scratching on the pins....got new heavier ones from midway and both rifles back to shooting....just another piece of equipment you have to keep watch on......[/QUOTE]

No problem :cool:

One of the problems with many firing pin springs is the ID is to big for the pin diameter allowing the spring to "Snake" rubbing the inside of the bolt causing drag and slowing lock time and reducing the effective spring tension.

I personally prefer the aftermarket springs because they have more, small coils that produce the right amount of compression and fit the firing pin better.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.