replacing stock firing pin and spring on rem 700

argeea

question: would replacing stock firing pin and spring on rem 700 with aftermarket products help shoot better groups?

It's possible. I don't understand why that is but benchrest shooters have determined that it can have an affect.

Look into GreTan rifles. He seems to have a solution that is claimed to be good aftermarket parts.

I have replaced four J locks and that is definitely worth doing. The springs in those is bent like a snakes back. It is especially noticeable in cold weather I upgraded a few non J-Lock ones, these the springs are straight and could see no difference in performance.

I have replaced four J locks and that is definitely worth doing. The springs in those is bent like a snakes back. It is especially noticeable in cold weather I upgraded a few non J-Lock ones, these the springs are straight and could see no difference in performance.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I Concur

I had light primer strikes in an old action. Replaced the spring with a Wolfe Blitzschnell and a Gretan TI pin, and no more issues. Not sure if it helped accuracy, but FTF and hangfires went away.
Just replacing the spring with a new OEM would have probably cured your problems. I am of the mind that says; "Change one thing at a time. That way you'll know what the root of the problem was/is".

It's possible. I don't understand why that is but benchrest shooters have determined that it can have an affect.

Look into GreTan rifles. He seems to have a solution that is claimed to be good aftermarket parts.
read that as springs loose some of their tension, it could affect accuracy

Heavier springs and lighter weight firing pins make the "Lock time " faster, basically the time from when the sear releases the firing pin till the pin strikes the primer, resulting in the shooter having less time to move off target.
thanks for comment!!

Just replacing the spring with a new OEM would have probably cured your problems. I am of the mind that says; "Change one thing at a time. That way you'll know what the root of the problem was/is".
Probably right. But for an additional $39, I just replaced them both and made sure I eliminated the problem.

I read an interesting article a while back about some of the things Remington did when developing the 700 action and building it for accuracy. A couple of the big things they found were firing pin fall and the weight of the spring. It was an interesting read. I was looking to find a better fix for trued 700 actions, but really found no need for my personal use. If I was going to try for more than all day everyday 1/2 moa accuracy I would mess with it and set my triggers way light. I just found for me, I would be chasing the point of diminishing returns. Wish I could remember the article so I could just drop a link for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.