Field Shooting Practice

MtPockets

As much as I like to see the small groups that are posted from those bench sessions, does anyone have pics and tips to share about shooting out in the field in hunting conditions?

Especially when the ranges get longer, I'd like to learn what you guys are doing for true precision in field conditions.

Anyone have any "secrets" they'd like to share?

Thanks in advance!

I like to go to an open area locally on public land. I prop clay pigeons on small rocks scattered over as long a distance as possible. Then using the range finder to distance the pigeons, shatter them. Shooting is done from sitting or standing with shooting sticks. It's fun and you can see hits without having to gather targets at the end of the shooting session.

I like to go to an open area locally on public land. I prop clay pigeons on small rocks scattered over as long a distance as possible. Then using the range finder to distance the pigeons, shatter them. Shooting is done from sitting or standing with shooting sticks. It's fun and you can see hits without having to gather targets at the end of the shooting session.
I like to walk the BLM and just pick out sandstone rocks for the same reason. Usually pretty easy to see hits, but no debris to pick up.

As much as I like to see the small groups that are posted from those bench sessions, does anyone have pics and tips to share about shooting out in the field in hunting conditions?

Especially when the ranges get longer, I'd like to learn what you guys are doing for true precision in field conditions.

Thanks in advance!
go watch some PR matches and shoot some. go woodchuck hunting out in the mts and do some long range shooting them and rock shooting at long range it will make use of your range finder and wind meter and will also show you that your dope is good or not and if all is trued to your round

I like to walk the BLM and just pick out sandstone rocks for the same reason. Usually pretty easy to see hits, but no debris to pick up.
I've done that too. Shooting from the bench is great for working up loads and getting familiar with a rifle. But nobody shoots five rounds into a deer in .5 inch groups. They usually go down in one shot. The only reason I use clay pigeons is my son and I spot for each other, and it seems like we always look at different rock than the one being shot at.

I try and hunt as often as I can which means rabbits during when in season, with a .22. Some long shots, running shots, etc. Depending on the area I'm hunting, I may take a larger caliver rifle slung across my back because there are a few areas with jack rabbits that like to run out a couple of hundred yards and then stop: makes for good practice.
I also go to areas during the off season and my brother, and I take turns picking out rocks for the other to shoot, some off hand, some on bipod or off a back pack.

The biggest problem most face is a place to shoot, especially long range with a variety of different distances.
And even for those that do have a good place, foilage is a problem as well untill the leaves come down in late fall.
But there are large powerlines and natural gas pipelines that can be used as well.
In mountainous terrain, the best is to just use the natural targets like small rocks, the end of a log, etc.
Or pickout a spot on a larger rock if you prefer.
If these are spots you later intend hunting, write down the information for later reference.

Thanks in advance!
This is the focus for me at the long range hunting school I help instruct. 90% of the focus is on field conditions and positional shooting. Use of front and rear support devices, being creative with the obstacles for solid rifle foundation, knowing the limits of each. Breaking all that down is bipod, tripod, backpack, shooting sticks, natural features (trees, branches, rocks, logs, etc) buddy support, prone to standing. For me there are really not secrets to success in the field, it's more about education and thinking outside the box. When I shot PRS matches I learned you can use a lot of variation to engage the target and be successful. Observing some of our top shooters approach each stage in different ways was educational and I took those variations and applied to worked best for me. When instructing, some big guys just can't do what I do so we modify it to fit their body shape. Most everyone is able to engage 10x10 plates out to 800 in the first day with solid fundamentals. By the end of day 2 I focus the students on first round impacts under some time constraints and stress to see if they can still engage with high levels of accuracy. With proper practice and positional technique I feel 1000 is reasonable. I do this all winter chasing coyotes and wolves.

On a range day, I'll bring a .22 and set up some light spinners at 100 and 200. While the big bores are cooling off, I'll practice offhand or positional shooting with the .22 on the spinner. It does nothing for range estimation, but it helps build stance and reliable positioning. I always tell myself I'll go squirrel hunt to get live game practice, but it doesn't seem to happen in actuality.

The little bit I do practice served me well this year on my bear. Quickly dropping prone, flipping out the bipod, and getting on target quickly came easier after the practice. I realized that I should practice that maneuver wearing my pack though, as there are some differences between doing it unencumbered vs carrying 40 pounds of pack.

Not much of a secret: Dry Fire

When you're ready to pull the trigger on an animal ... last thought ... dry fire.

Try it ... thank me profusely later. 🤣

Offhand shooting with a. 22 rimfire and off-hand matches with a centerfire are excellent practice for hunting season. One should also practice shooting from the sitting and prone using your pack as a rest, meat sacks rolled up and carried in a sack inside your hunting pack makes a good rear rest.

I shoot High Power at every opportunity and have some lever action .22 silhouette steel targets which are very fun offhand and here at home when I shoot in my own range there is no bench, unless you are going to be a bench rest shooter a bench is worthless. check loads prone with a sling or if you have to use a bipod check loads with a bipod. There are no benches where I hunt, I have never been to a military range that has benches, they are the worst thing that ever happened to shooting because every time I have gone to a shooting range 99% of all the shooters are sitting at the bench instead of improving their marksmanship skills by shooting in positions simular to how they would hunt

Out west, we have been blessed with a lot of open, public land. I live in AZ where we have no shortage ofdesert or rocks. I simply choose a 4x4 trail and drive while looking for rocks to bust. I alternate between prone and sitting to get used to my equipment, the process of setting up for the shot, the uneven terrain, etc. On shorter distances, I will practice off-hand using a tree for support. I always dry fire once or twice to confirm my hold and trigger squeeze. Over timer, you gain experience for whatever hunting situation you may encounter while hunting.

Recent Posts