Field shooting rest info

Ian M

I recently carried two Stoney Point rests during a hunt and set up the rifle with one on the fore end and the other angled back so it supported the butt. Extremely steady, you can take your hands off the rifle, use your binocs or laser and the rifle is still on target. Shots from sitting are much more accurate.
Actually used a bipod and a set of sticks, the sticks attached to the bipod nicely for carrying and the combined unit is very light. Very quick to set up and you have to try it to see how steady it is. Maybe borrow a buddy's and give it a try with two.
I believe that supporting the front and back is the only way to go for field shots, sitting or standing when necessary.

Ian,

I've got to get hooked up with a set of those, front and rear. Looks really stable in the pix you sent me, just what I need.

Shot a couple groups at 100 and 500yds today, wind was 10-22 mph and I was stuggling on just the bipod when it was over 15mph. Wind was at 11 o'clock, and a solid rear would have been the cats ***!
smile.gif

Are they selling them as a complete front and rear set yet like you all were using them?

I was in the huge new Scheels store in Appleton, Wisconsin last week. They were closing out a rest that I hadn't seen before. It folds open to enable you to support the front and the rear of the rifle in much the way Ian is describing. I think it weighs 2 pounds. It's designed so you could set up the rifle on it and take your hands off while waiting for the critter to arrive. Reminds me a little of the structure underlying those omnipresent folding chairs with the canvas seat and back.

Ian or Brent
If you have time please send a picture of this set up, I have been looking for a back support.
Thanks CAM

I would also like to see the pic of the field rest setup if possible.
Thanks,
Wayne

I too, was really looking forward to some pictures.
This sounded just like what I was thinking about. Or at least similar to.

Thanks, John

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.