Federal brass

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Joefrazell, Apr 16, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. kfreeze

kfreeze Well-Known Member

I use a lot of federal brass, mostly because I live close to their Anoka, MN plant, so a lot of locals use their ammo and I get it once fired free. I get 4-5 firings on it and then toss it usually. The primer pockets are still ok when I decap the brass the last time unless I ran the brass past max load.

xsn10s likes this.
  2. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Federal brass did not last long in a 338 Edge. Might as well just opened the truck window and let the $$$ fly.

3. gator378

gator378 Well-Known Member

I have pretty good luck with Remington brass in 300 Weatherby. I know a lot of people complain about Remington but I don't have problems but I stay a grain or two below Max charges

predator 22 likes this.
  4. Jrainey

Jrainey Member

5. Jrainey

Jrainey Member

I have no experience with any of the calibers you guys have discussed with federal brass.
    Ok luck with it in 300 wm.
    I’m dealing with maybe the worst brass I’ve ever worked with now.
    Federal premium in 22-250.
    I had 3 in a 100 count brand new bag that had spilt necks.
    I’ve thrown away 6 or seven more pieces after 1 firing.
    Terrible!!!!!

iowaelkbum likes this.
  6. Csafisher

Csafisher Well-Known Member

Where’s the false claim?

7. therifleman556

therifleman556 Well-Known Member

Oh boy, here we go...

FEENIX, Dosh, Barrelnut and 3 others like this.
  8. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

True, but...when cheap stuff is used it often results in poor, resulting in wasted time and $$$. Lapua will stand up to grater pressure and if you load it to the same pressure as Fed or some of the other cheap stuff you will get more firings and pay less in the long run and a lot less headaches. You get what you pay for and sometimes you pay more and get less.

9. predator 22

predator 22 Well-Known Member

Federal brass is on the same level of hardness as a beer can. When I went to reload a hundred rounds of 223 the second time it barely held the primer. When my AR puked it on the ground the second time it stayed there.
    And I've had way better luck with Remington brass than Winchester. Had several bags of Winchester with folded necks( not the normal little dents), gobs of brass at the mouth and inside the neck, flash holes badly off center, ect. Usually 5% lost to visual inspection.

10. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

That the 6.5 CM is comparable to a .300 WinMag.

The biggest false claim of all that they put out there is that their cartridges are "NEW"... ;)

11. Dog Rocket

Dog Rocket Well-Known Member

It's more like a 30-06 for those who can't handle recoil.

Joefrazell likes this.
  12. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

It still boils down to "personal" choice that one has to make. No one is disputing Lapua's quality and I never said I only use Federal. I am simply making the point as others did that one can make it work for their intended purpose. How one intend to use their time and money is also a personal choice.

Moving on ...

13. Jack R Tishue Jr

Jack R Tishue Jr Well-Known Member

Have used a lot of FC and no problems. The idea it's soft goes back about 20 years to a ONE time run that was. Not it's one of the hardest out there. Getting loose primers seems to me to be "heavy" handed powder oriented. I've heard the same thing about Rem. brass, and had people not want to buy if, so think there's a lot of bias in peoples minds, that may not be exactly true.

xsn10s and FEENIX like this.
  14. Dog Rocket

Dog Rocket Well-Known Member

Nope.

I have 2,000 pieces of Federal Gold Metal match 308 that will only take 4 loads of 41.5 grains of IMR 4895 with a 175 grain matchking before the primer pockets are too loose to hold a Federal primer without leaking. Not a hot load in anyone's book.

I have 500 pieces of virgin Federal 30-06 brass that act similarly with middle of the road loads.

Federal brass IS soft and thier primer pockets are large to begin with. If you don't believe me, just try using Winchester primers in brand new Federal brass with even moderately warm loads and see what happens to your bolt face.

I only use CCI or Federal primers in Federal brass for just this reason.