Federal brass

I use a lot of federal brass, mostly because I live close to their Anoka, MN plant, so a lot of locals use their ammo and I get it once fired free. I get 4-5 firings on it and then toss it usually. The primer pockets are still ok when I decap the brass the last time unless I ran the brass past max load.

Well that's good to know. Thanks guys. No I didn't measure the volume before loading. I never have. I always start low
I have pretty good luck with Remington brass in 300 Weatherby. I know a lot of people complain about Remington but I don't have problems but I stay a grain or two below Max charges

I used some Federal 30-06 brass that had been given to me, once fired, and found it showed signs of pressure at a load below book max so I weighed it and found it to be considerably heavier than the Winchester brass I had been using. I believe the weight difference was 15 -20 grains. I put an entry in my notebook to load it lighter next time because it may have less capacity. Haven't tried it since though.

I have no experience with any of the calibers you guys have discussed with federal brass.
Ok luck with it in 300 wm.
I'm dealing with maybe the worst brass I've ever worked with now.
Federal premium in 22-250.
I had 3 in a 100 count brand new bag that had spilt necks.
I've thrown away 6 or seven more pieces after 1 firing.
Terrible!!!!!

Sometimes what people lack in money, they make it up with time. The use of time is purely relative from one individual to the next. There is no argument that other brass requires more prep time.
True, but...when cheap stuff is used it often results in poor, resulting in wasted time and $$$. Lapua will stand up to grater pressure and if you load it to the same pressure as Fed or some of the other cheap stuff you will get more firings and pay less in the long run and a lot less headaches. You get what you pay for and sometimes you pay more and get less.

Federal brass is on the same level of hardness as a beer can. When I went to reload a hundred rounds of 223 the second time it barely held the primer. When my AR puked it on the ground the second time it stayed there.
And I've had way better luck with Remington brass than Winchester. Had several bags of Winchester with folded necks( not the normal little dents), gobs of brass at the mouth and inside the neck, flash holes badly off center, ect. Usually 5% lost to visual inspection.

True, but...when cheap stuff is used it often results in poor, resulting in wasted time and $$$. Lapua will stand up to grater pressure and if you load it to the same pressure as Fed or some of the other cheap stuff you will get more firings and pay less in the long run and a lot less headaches. You get what you pay for and sometimes you pay more and get less.

It still boils down to "personal" choice that one has to make. No one is disputing Lapua's quality and I never said I only use Federal. I am simply making the point as others did that one can make it work for their intended purpose. How one intend to use their time and money is also a personal choice.

Moving on ...

Have used a lot of FC and no problems. The idea it's soft goes back about 20 years to a ONE time run that was. Not it's one of the hardest out there. Getting loose primers seems to me to be "heavy" handed powder oriented. I've heard the same thing about Rem. brass, and had people not want to buy if, so think there's a lot of bias in peoples minds, that may not be exactly true.

Have used a lot of FC and no problems. The idea it's soft goes back about 20 years to a ONE time run that was. Not it's one of the hardest out there. Getting loose primers seems to me to be "heavy" handed powder oriented. I've heard the same thing about Rem. brass, and had people not want to buy if, so think there's a lot of bias in peoples minds, that may not be exactly true.
Nope.

I have 2,000 pieces of Federal Gold Metal match 308 that will only take 4 loads of 41.5 grains of IMR 4895 with a 175 grain matchking before the primer pockets are too loose to hold a Federal primer without leaking. Not a hot load in anyone's book.

I have 500 pieces of virgin Federal 30-06 brass that act similarly with middle of the road loads.

Federal brass IS soft and thier primer pockets are large to begin with. If you don't believe me, just try using Winchester primers in brand new Federal brass with even moderately warm loads and see what happens to your bolt face.

I only use CCI or Federal primers in Federal brass for just this reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.