Federal brass

I have noticed that federal brass looks nice but is rather soft, on 300 win mag get 3 maybe 4 reloads. Winchester brass I've got some going on 5 to 6 times, with no primer problems and no neck cracking. Can't stand hornaday terrible lots of primer problems. Had good luck with Lupua, Nosler but it seems to be little soft. Also use for 308, and 270, 300 was. Overall when I can get Winchester brass that's what I like.

So do you folks actually purchase brass to reload with. I haven't reloaded rifle ammo in years. I remember using what we got after we shot factory loads and people gave to us or we scrounged. For big game the hunting the new high end factory loads work fine for 4-6 deer a year and the occasional trip for hogs, antelope or elk.

I am now planning to shoot some more long range stuff more often. I am waiting on delivery of a Cooper rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. My plan was to buy a case or 2 of Hornady loads and start reloading from that brass.

I have been offered free Federal Brass. Even at that price I won;t use it based on my experiences with Fed brass years ago. If they actually improve it I will never know because I stick to Lapua, Privi, Norma (For Weatherby only because it too tends to be soft) and even Winchester or Remington.

Federal and Hornady are brass that fall in the; "life is too short for that nonsense" category.

I gotta agree with Mud, Fed brass is garbage. To the OP, you are posting on the Long Range forums so I assume that you are interested in precision shooting, therefore there is no reason not to have Lapaua (or ADG) brass if available. Midway has Lapua 30-06 on sale for $99/100. That's a darn good deal for Lapua brass.

I'd guess that most people who shoot the 06 are going to be predominately hunters. And most likely won't be using the 30-06 for long distance hunting.

I have been offered free Federal Brass. Even at that price I won;t use it based on my experiences with Fed brass years ago. If they actually improve it I will never know because I stick to Lapua, Privi, Norma (For Weatherby only because it too tends to be soft) and even Winchester or Remington.

Federal and Hornady are brass that fall in the; "life is too short for that nonsense" category.

"IF" you cannot or do not want to use it for yourself, you can give it away here or donate it to your local youth shooting program.

Is federal brass in 30-06 have a smaller volume than most brass in 06? Or is it softer then most? I'm having alot of pressure issue even low in the charge weight scale on several bullets. Anyone have any input?
What bullet, powder, and load data are you using? What's your rifle and barrel length? I haven't had any issues.

It depends on your definition of long range hunting. With a good rifle, load and bullet, you can take it out to 700-800 yards
You could, I shoot my M70 FWT out to 800 yards without turning dials. And that's with using Federal brass. But most users of the 30-06 aren't going to hunt much over 400 yards.

If people don't like federal brass, or haven't had good results with it that's fine. It could be that it's a component that doesn't work in a particular rifle for whatever reason. I just had have acceptable results with it. I'd really be interested in the load, components, and load data the OP was using. Specifically if his load data called for Federal brass and if he used all the same components as his load data.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.