Federal 308 Gold Medal Match Powder?

Not surprised that IMR4064 did so well in those tests. That powder was used to win most of the matches and set most of the records with the .308 round in bolt guns when it was popular for competition. One arsenal, decades ago, did tests with the M2 172-gr. match bullet in .30-06 match ammo and got about 25% smaller test groups than IMR4895 produced. But it had to be weighed; high speed metering on their production lines threw more consistant charges of IMR4895 so that's the one that was used.

Diamondback, regarding that Sartorius GD503 Class II Balance for around $1000 measuring to 0.005 grain or half a granule of Varget, proving that accuracy in charge weight needs a rifle cartridge shooting system that produces less than .01 MOA accuracy at worst to see with 95% confidence in the numbers that a .005 grain difference in charge weight of any powder that will show any difference.

Good luck finding a lot of primers whose detonation characteristics have small enough spread to not mask the charge weight's spread. And a firing pin and spring system consistant enough to smack primers with exactly the same force each time instead of the normal several ounce spread they have.

Better yet, good luck getting case mouth tension uniform enough so it produces exactly the same pressure curve parameters for each shot so the muzzle velocity will be +/- 1 fps and barrel time will be +/- 2 microseconds.

And finally, finding a lot of perfectly matched bullets with 100% uniform homogenous jacket metal, shape, weight and balance that'll shoot well enough to make all the other variables visible.

Bart B,

Thank you for your educational knowledge and shooting experience. No, I don't plan on buying any $1000 scales anytime soon. My RCBS 750 works just fine for what I'm doing and my income. I can spend a lot more time at the range and reloading bullets, brass, powder, data- shooting for that money.

I only meant that to some "artists" that run totally specialized rigs might use such things for the total custom setups they shoot. For me, a RCBS 750 works just fine.

I reload and keep "Duck Dynasty" playing in the background- Good old country boys where the CEO can still shoot squirrel in his back yard and take his nephews hunting. Hi Tech Redneck!

I'm not buying any $1000 scales. I work for a living.

I admit looking back at my post of powders / diagrams / "technical voodoo"- lol If I had to do it again I wouldn't have posted that stuff. I would have posted this:

Sierra Load Data FPS ratings for Hunting / Grouping Load 308 Win

What has all this got to do with the type of powder used in a Federal Gold Medal Match bullet. I ask what time it is and ya'll want to build me a watch. Can you say "wrapped around the axle"?

I have used IMR4895, R15, Imr4064, Varget, and Imr 3031. Very hard to distinguish between any of them using Fed210M primers and a 168/175 SMK. I'm partial to Varget because it seems to be more temperature stable.

I'm not too worried about duplicating it. I want to copy it. So far I can't touch it with my reloads for accuracy. I'd also be surprised to find out Federal would have a custom proprietary for this cartridge with so many great powders available. I can buy them for less than $23 a box. I may just forget about reloading for this rifle if they work on deer out to about 500 yards I'm still hoping someone knows what kind of powder it is though.
.....for deer i would change to a 168 cbt or balistic tip and use either varget or I4064. re-15 is a a third choice. lapua brass and 210m primers. i would not use a match king. i would use use a 168 berger or 167 lapua third choice for bullets.

Nimrod- i have shot against a lot of rifleman shooting 308s. i have loaded for a few. the 308 is a very forgiving round to load for. the .222 is the only cartridge i have found easier and more forgiving. I-4064 was the most common , now varget. and re-15 is the one that is supposed to be used in fed GMMM. I can tell you some have won with powders as fast as 3031 and many with I4320 ( slow end). and many many I/H4895. Most in matches are shooting either 175 or 155; less 168. Scenarshooter on 24campfire guide and hunts a lot. Killed a bunch elk and big deer with 155 scenar. ( i would not use matchking on deer (justme) ). i would use a 168 cbt.

Resurrection thread!

I dissected a current production 168 FGMM and its loaded 40.5gr short cut extruded powder. Burn rate in the AR Comp, Benchmark, IMR 3031 range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.