Federal Gold Medal 215 match primers vs Federal 215 primers

gamehawker

I have been reloading for my .257 Weatherby Magnum and 7mm STW using Federal 215 primers. The groupings on both calibers have been under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.

I've been thinking about switching to the Federal Gold Medal 215 match primers because the price difference is less than $4 per 1,000 at Midsouth Shooters Supply. Is there any advantage to switching to the match grade primers, i.e. better groupings, lower SD for velocity?

Thanks!

Not really, what are your SD & ES? How are your groups at 300yds?

You know the old addage: "if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!"

I go through about 1000 gm215m primers per year.

The price differential is so small in the grand scheme of my shootng budget that I only use match primers.

They work fine.

Are they really any better? Don't know. But, I doubt they're worse.

-- richard

We use the 215 match if available, the standard 215 if not. Actual difference may be psychological, but the cost is minimal compared to everything else. It would not surprise me to find lot # to lot # a bigger difference.

I've read that the 215 and 215M are identical with the exception being that the match designated primers have been manufactured under the oversight of the most experienced technicians within the facility.

Can anyone confirm this?

I have noticed that many custom rifle smiths use the plain 215's to shoot some incredibly small groups.

The difference may be neglageable to most but I'll tell you that my 300 RUM sendero can tell the difference.

A long time ago Kirby Allen stated that the 215s were hotter than the 215Ms.

I tried it and found the statement to be true, in my case, and I suppose all cases. Unless Fed has changed things.

Shooting only extreme magnums and a 338 RUM "extremely loaded :rolleyes: (99, 101.5 and 142.5 grains of US 869 and 50 BMG) I have been sticking with the 215s and getting great results. Though 869 isn't the most consistent powder in the world.

A long time ago Kirby Allen stated that the 215s were hotter than the 215Ms.

I tried it and found the statement to be true, in my case, and I suppose all cases. Unless Fed has changed things.

Shooting only extreme magnums and a 338 RUM "extremely loaded :rolleyes: (99, 101.5 and 142.5 grains of US 869 and 50 BMG) I have been sticking with the 215s and getting great results. Though 869 isn't the most consistent powder in the world.

I'll need to reevaluate, and watch more closely the next time we run out of 215
m's

I would agree with a prior post about looking at the ES using the 215 primers. If they look good, I wouldn't bother changing anything. I have found tighter ES using 215M primers in my 260. With my 6.5x284's I have seen differences between the Federal standard, match, and magnum primers. The match give best ES in my Savage with 4831sc, and the magnum give best ES in my Cooper with Retumbo. If there is a difference, it is usually in ES rather than group size between the standard and match primers. I went through all this four years ago when primers were scarce and standard primers were all I could get(hope I doesn't happen again). I had made the decision before that time to use the match for all my work given the small price difference.

I would agree with a prior post about looking at the ES using the 215 primers. If they look good, I wouldn't bother changing anything. I have found tighter ES using 215M primers in my 260. With my 6.5x284's I have seen differences between the Federal standard, match, and magnum primers. The match give best ES in my Savage with 4831sc, and the magnum give best ES in my Cooper with Retumbo. If there is a difference, it is usually in ES rather than group size between the standard and match primers. I went through all this four years ago when primers were scarce and standard primers were all I could get(hope I doesn't happen again). I had made the decision before that time to use the match for all my work given the small price difference.

I found it somewhat Ironc that you found your best ES with the 215M in you 260... I just loaded a bunch of 6.5WSM brass with 210M's last night:rolleyes:

I am going to fiddle with the 210M's in my Lazzeroni Patriot as well, nothing like good 'ole tinkeritis to keep a guy busy :D

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.