February Shooting Challenge

500 yards best cold bore shot off of any shooting implement or position you Choose
Other than a bench.
(Be honest ) on paper target only.
Closest measurement from point of aim to point of impact wins

Good luck and good shooting đź‘Ť
Saturday afternoon my 13 year old daughter and I were packing up to go shoot the 500yd February challenge and my wife said out of nowhere that she would like to participate. She loves to shoot but rarely goes with us, but thanks to this friendly challenge, her interest was spurred on! We all three shot from the same position, sitting on the ground propped on polecat sticks. My wife's shot measured 3.222 inches from center and my daughters landed 2.273 inches from center. Disclaimer, the wind was 6 to 8 full value from right to left and I shot first and landed 6.5" left with perfect elevation and didn't hold for wind and I called their wind holds. Needless to say, I was impressed and would like to at least take credit for good coaching. Forgot to mention that my daughter was shooting the 117 Hammer Hunters out of the 270wby mag and my wife was shooting the 181 Hammer Hunters out of the 30-378 Wby.

Attachments

• IMG_3774.png
    IMG_3774.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3773.png
    IMG_3773.png
    534.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3771.png
    IMG_3771.png
    541.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Saturday afternoon my 13 year old daughter and I were packing up to go shoot the 500yd February challenge and my wife said out of nowhere that she would like to participate. She loves to shoot but rarely goes with us, but thanks to this friendly challenge, her interest was spurred on! We all three shot from the same position, sitting on the ground propped on polecat sticks. My wife's shot measured 3.222 inches from center and my daughters landed 2.273 inches from center. Disclaimer, the wind was 6 to 8 full value from right to left and I shot first and landed 6.5" left with perfect elevation and didn't hold for wind and I called their wind holds. Needless to say, I was impressed and would like to at least take credit for good coaching. Forgot to mention that my daughter was shooting the 117 Hammer Hunters out of the 270wby mag and my wife was shooting the 181 Hammer Hunters out of the 30-378 Wby.
That is some darn impressive shooting all the way around! Congrats to the ladies AND to you, too.
I like seeing the ladies out shooting. It's so much better when the whole family participates in our hobbies!

That's some great shooting guys đź‘Ť
Looks like first place with that shooting.

That's some great shooting guys đź‘Ť
Looks like first place with that shooting.
That would be awesome and would make her proud. She's been shooting since she was four and this year she passed on two of the biggest deer we've ever had an opportunity to shoot on the last day of youth season here in Ga. She got a little nervous and would squeeze the trigger and had her in tears. When it was all said and done, she said "dad I'm so sorry" I looked at her and said, the best shot you ever made, was the one you didn't. I told her that if she wasn't 100% confident, it's better to pass than to make a poor shot and not retrieving the deer. Her passion for shooting is contagious and I feel for the next mature buck the shows himself next season.

That would be awesome and would make her proud. She's been shooting since she was four and this year she passed on two of the biggest deer we've ever had an opportunity to shoot on the last day of youth season here in Ga. She got a little nervous and would squeeze the trigger and had her in tears. When it was all said and done, she said "dad I'm so sorry" I looked at her and said, the best shot you ever made, was the one you didn't. I told her that if she wasn't 100% confident, it's better to pass than to make a poor shot and not retrieving the deer. Her passion for shooting is contagious and I feel for the next mature buck the shows himself next season.
Hearing stories like that just makes a guy smile.
What a great kid and great shot !

Last edited:
I finally caught a chance to participate in some challenge this evening. My neighbor/best friend/ huntin fishin buddy and I, each took a shot. Standing, Freehand. Factory Remington 300 Rum. Sporter weight. 124 HH at 4200 fps. 300 yard target. We both agree these were lucky shots. Maybe we'll try again tomorrow

IMG_7024.jpeg
IMG_7023.jpeg

Last edited:
I finally caught a chance to participate in some challenge this evening. My neighbor/best friend/ huntin fishin buddy and I, each took a shot. Standing, Freehand. Factory Remington 300 Rum. Sporter weight. 124 HH at 4200 fps. 300 yard target. We both agree these were lucky shots. Maybe we'll try again tomorrow

View attachment 540957View attachment 540958
That's some fine shooting , but February is a one shot 500 yards any position you want other that a bench haha

Alright fellers. I believe the bar has been set with today's challenge. Myself and my best friend, again, shot some freehand this evening right at dusk. This time the rifle was a fierce carbon fury 300 prc shooting factory Hornady eldm ammo. 500 yards. Just for laughs of course. My impact was about 16" low and a couple off to the right. And I actually thought that was ok.
Then he shot. I'm sure it was luck again. But better to be lucky than good they say. In the picture, I'm pointing at my impact. Y'all can see his is obviously a little closer.
IMG_7038.jpeg