Favorite Hunting clothing brand advice!!!

If you hunt on the move, even if only to get to your stand location, I would recommend evaluating your outerwear in terms of noise generated when passing through tree / brush boughs. I do this by scraping my finger nails over the fabric to see how much of a scratching sound it makes. Animal hearing sensitivity is much keener than ours.

Because of this, I have gone away from Kuiu for some hunts and switched back to Filson wool bibs and jacket. Surprisingly, red and black plaid wool don't seem to stand out for a deer or elk. As others have stated, even when wet it's still warm.

Check out stone glacier all solid colors no camo but I've tried every brand and I truly believe they make the best hunting clothes for performance

Yeah buddy, best merino wool I've ever found, the fit is perfect for me and they're made right here at home! My oldest son has tons of their gear it has served him well, he's gonna try and finish the Twelvers this year, that's all he wears!

Another piece of clothing I swear by is the Kryptek Anorak, I believe it's been discontinued but still available even mama has one and loves it. Have you been to the Kryptek super sale downtown? UNBELIEVABLE savings if ya like their gear....
Not a fan of the crew is the only issue. Lots of buddies wear it exclusively. Seams like it does a nice job of retaining color

Sitka Open Country Optifade 100% after 20 days in the field.
Just this morning, while Javelina hunting, I put the Sitka pants and jacket to a real test in the worst cat claw jungle I have ever encountered. I was surprised. No pulled threads.
Crispi Nevada boots have saved my feet in the rugged Coues Deer mountains of Southern AZ.

I don't usually worry about the brand. I look at the specific garment and go from there.

With that said I have a little bit of everything. Stone glacier has really impressed me in the clothing department. But I own kuiu, sitka, first lite, arc'teryx, outdoor research, etc.

I don't pay retail either. Watch for sales.

for trousers, most are just hiking pants in green or camo. sitka and kuiu inclusive. base layers, anything merino that fits. and boots you are best trying on as many as you can as everyone has their favourite pair/brand. ive thrown all my old socks and now wear darn toughs of different thickness throughout the year, have done 188 munros and countless hills in them, no hotspots or blisters and they really last. alot of waterproof jackets and trousers are like wearing bin bags and sound like a crisp (chip) packet when on the move. i wear swazi clothing mostly, but wear green/brown mountaineering trousers in winter and mostly sitkas in summer. people get hung up too much on camo paterns and forget animals see movement way before the notice your pants and jacket arent matching.

for trousers, most are just hiking pants in green or camo. sitka and kuiu inclusive. base layers, anything merino that fits. and boots you are best trying on as many as you can as everyone has their favourite pair/brand. ive thrown all my old socks and now wear darn toughs of different thickness throughout the year, have done 188 munros and countless hills in them, no hotspots or blisters and they really last. alot of waterproof jackets and trousers are like wearing bin bags and sound like a crisp (chip) packet when on the move. i wear swazi clothing mostly, but wear green/brown mountaineering trousers in winter and mostly sitkas in summer. people get hung up too much on camo paterns and forget animals see movement way before the notice your pants and jacket arent matching.
You're 100% correct about movement, anyone whos been through camouflage training at Ft. Benning will understand this concept VERY well. 👍

I've got a large mix of Sitka, Firstlite, SKRE, Kings XKG and Killik. The Sitka has really held up well over several seasons. But I think SKRE or the XKG is the best value out there. I'm really liking the Skre stuff and have started wearing it the most. As far as Kuiu goes I had one of their packs and it was good. But their clothes isn't cut for a chubby guy like myself

There is a lot of great camo out there, my recommendation would be to go out and try it on. They all fit & feel differently I have Sitka, Kuiu, Kings, some Under Armor they all have a place. You can't go wrong with any of them. Unfortunately you can't try Kuiu on or First Lite anywhere that I know of. I bought several items from Kuiu and they run small. Nothing more dissapointing thatn ordering a jacket or pants and waiting a couple of weeks to get it and then it doesn't fit.

I am a kuiu fan, but have a mixture of others. First light merino is a wonderful base. Not a big fan of the Kuiu zip off lowers unless we are having temp swings. My first set of pants are still going from Kuiu, they have purple stains on the but that don't come off, but they are earned from sitting in blueberry patches glassing for animals. I've herd complaints that the newer stuff isn't made as well, but i can not offer an opinion on that. I have a new pair of guide pants that have only been worn 2 times...everything else is at least 4 years old and still going!!!

I have Sitka and King's XKG. Both fit me well, ie a little chubby in the middle. Lately I have gone to Carhartt or 5.11 pants in the desert because the brush was wrecking my Sitka pants. I use them back East where everything isn't trying to kill you. I don't need a Gucci outfit while hunting so my brands/patterns are mixed up. I use whatever works best for the situation. Black Ovis merino base layers have been excellent and the price is right on Camofire. I'm another Cripsi boot fan. It took me 40 years to find them and they are like walking on pillows.

As a few have mentioned, merino base layers are almost a must. As far as brand, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I prefer and wear Firstlite, but it is very much just a personal preference.

Recent Posts