Elk hunt clothing questions

Blackdirt Cowboy

I'm planning an elk hunt for this fall and need to start gearing up for it. I'm trying to put together a list to distribute to my family for birthday/father's day/etc gifts. I currently own zero clothing suitable for a mountain hunt. I'm applying for tags in 5 states, but don't expect to draw on any of those this year. So my elk hunt will most likely be a late season Colorado OTC hunt. The only tag I may have a chance at drawing would be a late season rifle hunt in Wyoming(October 15-November 5).

I got on the Kuiu site just to see what's available and put together this layering plan for a late season hunt:

Peloton 97 zip t hoodie next to skin
Ultra merino 200 zip t
Peloton 240 full zip hoodie
Super down pro hooded jacket
Peloton 97 zip off bottom next to skin
Super down ultra pant
Talus hybrid pant
Chugach NX rain gear

I think I like the vias Camo pattern better than the verde. Obviously, I'll need a good pair of boots. I have a pair of waterproof, uninsated ll bean hunting boots that I love. Can I put enough wool socks on to keep my feet warm in those?

Overall, what do y'all think of those layers? I'm not locked in to kuiu, it's just the first website I landed on. I know its pricey and there are cheaper options. Which layers would you look at cheaper options and which layers are worth it to spend the money on kuiu? Anything you'd add or take away?

Just go with a good base layer and layer up from there with the outer layer being windproof as well as waterproof. I like wool also, cannot beat it but it can be heavy. Your boots wont cut it with wool socks. I have went to smart wool IMHO these are the best you can buy. You can buy them in different weights.
I will be buying a set of Hoffman boots this year for late season hunting when its cold. Otherwise I can get away with Merrill hikers. Always have gators also and a balaclava for your neck makes a big difference. Gloves are your choice and a case of hand warmers go a long ways. All of this for one reason.

"You cant cheat the mountains Jeremiah, the mountains got her own way"

The small things:
Darn Tough socks -they are pricey but they last a lifetime and they'll replace them free if they don't.

Kuiu Merino zip off long johns - god's gift to layering systems! Nothing beats NOT having to totally strip down to take off the long Johns.

Good gloves, I use two pairs on late hunts. The OR Grippers (or the gripper mittens) are always in pockets. Then for real cold or snowy hunts I take the Kuiu Northstar glove.
One last thought on boots, get them fit to you by some one who knows boots and not just because that boot company is good at advertising on the internet. Buy the ones that really fit you!

Best of luck on the draw!

Schnee's hunter boots. They sell them as "the ultimate elk boot." I don't have enough experience to know otherwise, but my first season hunting I had other very nice and expensive mountain boots and my feet were miserable. All the guides at the lodge were wearing Schnee's hunters. Ordered a pair for this season and they were fantastic.
I have merino long underwear (Terramar, but the good thick stuff), with a Kuiu zip neck over that, a Kuiu synthetic down over that, and the Guide DCS jacket. Works great. Attack pants are awesome as well. You will definitely need leg gaiters. I use the Kuiu ones. I also have a windproof fleece hat/neck gaiter/face mask combo that is fantastic, got it on Amazon for maybe 20 bucks it is a best seller. Much nicer than my Kuiu merino neck gaiter. Cheap Kuiu Teton rain gear, if the wind is crazy I pull it on over everything. Good luck out there!

Remember that part of the equation of the type of equipment you purchase will depend upon how you hunt. Do you climb, cover the ground, keep on the move stopping every once in a while to glass (this is how I mostly hunt). Or do you go to a stand and sit? Anyway for me. I wear Merino wool long johns top and bottom under the merino wool top I will wear a light comfortable long sleeve shirt, I like the Sitka mountain or timberline pants with gaiters, then I layer up with a couple of heavier Merino wool tops. For my feet, darn tough socks with water proof leather boots ( kenetrek, crispi, schennee). Some kind of hat that will shed some moisture. In my pack there is always and I mean always. They are never removed. A down puffy, a quality uninsulated water proof coat, some kind of beanie, and some kind of gaiters for my neck. For me this works as it allows me to remove items depending on temp and how hard I am working and the items are fairly easy to pack. Then when I sit down to glass I have items to pull on while sitting. The water proof jacket works against both moisture and wind. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Coming from a guy who has worn Kuiu the last 4 seasons (and has a pile of their gear), I highly suggest First Lite's base layers......2x more comfortable and the technology is better. Just my $0.02. Kuiu's wool did not work with my skin at all......way too itchy for me. With that said, I love all other layers, and huge fan of their pants.

I have not tried the Kuiu gear or the First Lite gear. I've looked at it and it's nice stuff, but I can save the money and put it towards other things. I live in Idaho and have been hunting elk for years in warm and cold weather, both and dry and wet. I stick to the Under Armor base layer clothes. Then I layer up with Kings Camo in the desert patter (it works for the timber and brush the best IMO). I spent money on good boots years ago and I believe that is where you should put your money. I like Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, but either way get a good pair of boots with a Gortex lining and at least a 200 thinsulate. I prefer my 400 thinsulate, but in the summer scouting trips my feet do get warm. Smart wool is the ticket for socks.

What I learned from Elk hunting in Montana, beside that it rained every day we were there is that proper boot fit is paramount. Test your boots walking down an incline. Make sure your toes do not hit the front of your boots. Several people in camp suffered from this problem. their toes looked like someone hit them with a hammer. It really limited their mobility.

As stated above, merino wool is great and well worth the cost. Wear a base layer that you can swap out when you get where you'll be glassing after a long walk. Sheffe's comment about swapping out long-johns was deja vu. (he must have seen me!!!)

Also make sure your pack fits and has a chest strap, and you can carry your rifle comfortable with your pack. mine didn't and I was tugging on straps and the sling the whole time I was walking.

Good luck

Jerry

I'm planning an elk hunt for this fall and need to start gearing up for it. I'm trying to put together a list to distribute to my family for birthday/father's day/etc gifts. I currently own zero clothing suitable for a mountain hunt. I'm applying for tags in 5 states, but don't expect to draw on any of those this year. So my elk hunt will most likely be a late season Colorado OTC hunt. The only tag I may have a chance at drawing would be a late season rifle hunt in Wyoming(October 15-November 5).

I got on the Kuiu site just to see what's available and put together this layering plan for a late season hunt:

Peloton 97 zip t hoodie next to skin
Ultra merino 200 zip t
Peloton 240 full zip hoodie
Super down pro hooded jacket
Peloton 97 zip off bottom next to skin
Super down ultra pant
Talus hybrid pant
Chugach NX rain gear

I think I like the vias Camo pattern better than the verde. Obviously, I'll need a good pair of boots. I have a pair of waterproof, uninsated ll bean hunting boots that I love. Can I put enough wool socks on to keep my feet warm in those?

Overall, what do y'all think of those layers? I'm not locked in to kuiu, it's just the first website I landed on. I know its pricey and there are cheaper options. Which layers would you look at cheaper options and which layers are worth it to spend the money on kuiu? Anything you'd add or take away?

I run a layering system very similar to your list. Purely personal preference but I was not a fan of the Super Down Ultra pants. Didn't seem all that warm to me when stationary and glassing in really cold weather. Got the Super Down Pro pants this year and have been much happier with them. The Super Down Pro jacket while better still didn't cut it for me when temps dropped below 30f. Bought the First Lite Chamberlain based on rec's I read on other web sites and it's been fantastic...$40 cheaper than the Kuiu too. If they made puffy pants in them I'd buy a pair tomorrow. Again, personal preference as I tend to run cold. Puffies are a stationary proposition to my mind as you aren't really going to do any serious hiking/climbing in them. Might as well get the warmest you can. And yes...for going heavier with these two items I'll eat the weight penalty if it means staying remotely comfortable.

The 97's IME are excellent pieces especially with colder temps. When hiking around a lot they do tend to run warm but dry very quickly. I have the zip top as it seemed to vent better than the hoodie, but that's just me. All that said I agree with another poster that this is another area where First Lite's Aerowool excels. I don't know if this is the correct way to say it but to my mind they just seem to regulate fluctuations in body temperature better than a lot of other base layers I've tried - as in when moving or stationary.

Good luck on your hunt!

The problem with trying to wear "enough" will socks is that they will make your feet more cold if they make the boots to tight.

Your layering system could work depending on how cold it gets. Don't forget some good gloves/mittens. Check out First lite.

Coming out to Wyoming, I to think wind proof is important, as well as layers. Also agree on good boots. Schnee's and Hoffman's are the way to go in a pac boot, get a spare set of liners and a propane powered boot dryer(if hunting out of a camp). You liners will get damp from sweat. High quality wool based socks with a polypropylene under sock is what I do.
I have 3 different weights of long underwear. The weather can still be in the 50-60 deg. range in October.
Wool Malone's(pants) and Whoolrich Alaskan shirt are my go too's during the later parts of rifle season.
Get a Stormy Kromer hat, the ear flaps are nice when you need them. And you'll fit in.lol
Good luck

I wear a Merino base layer, usually pretty thin (First Lite 150 weight) here in Montana and then an outer layer for my legs, upper body Usually wear a wool outer shirt as well and then my orange hunting vest. If needed I'll add a water/windproof layer for my torso but that's about it. Of course gloves, hat, and good boots... I love the first lite Mountain Athlete triad socks. I need nothing else to keep my feet warm depending on the boots I wear and they are compression so they help my calves and feet hurt less at the end of the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.